Tipping....how much do you tip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I try to tip 15% of the charter cost, usually $15-$20. I know several DM's, and am aware of how (little) they are paid and what they have to put up with.

$15-$20 if they do an exceptional job, $10 if just a standard job. Of course that is for a standard $65 2-tank trip.

I agree. That's what I tip. DM's and instructors don't do it to get rich, but they should at least make a living. We need them.

I usually give between $10 and $20, depending on how good they were...if they change your tanks, etc.

Good service, in my mind, deserves a good tip. Provided I receive good service from all, 20-30% goes in the tip jar. If I receive good service from one person and no or poor service from the others, then nothing in the jar, $20 - 25 cash to the one person.

Dave

I generally tip $10.00 per person in our party when we dive a charter. This usually goes to the person (hand) that helped get us into and out of the water. When five of us are diving, that comes out to $50.00 a day.

Ron

I can provide what I think is an interesting perspective, as someone who is a frequent charter passenger and now newly minted crew member and DM-to-be.

Before getting a spot on a crew I always understood that that "they don't do it for the money" but now I have a better understanding of ALL THE STUFF THEY DO that they don't do for the money. (HINT: Our crew just spent 3-4 full days with no pay getting the boat ready for the season, repairs, sanding, glassing, painting, cleaning, waxing, etc)

Crew also...

- gets to the boat at 6am so it's ready when you get there at 8am
- is there cleaing the boat for quite a while after you leave
- helps you gear up and get in and out of water
- regularly practices rescue scenarios, man-overboard drills, fire drills, etc
- is willing to jump in the water and save your @ss if needed
- will lend you their own gear or any other help you might need

If you're diving on a six-pack and there's two crew members for 6 divers who each tip $10 that totals to $60. Typically the crew is not paid other than tips so split that two ways for $30 each. Not bad, huh? Well, think about it this way: that doesn't even cover the crew's tank fills and gas to drive to the boat. So not only are they "not getting paid" for busting their butts to help you, it's actually costing them money to do so.

Not playing the sob story, because we willingly do it "for free" but the one thing I can tell you is that while I used to tip pretty well BEFORE...now that I know what all goes into being crew I tip even BETTER!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom