Tipping....how much do you tip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think $5 per tank is pretty standard, at least here in the Gulf South...

If extra service, or if it's a really long way out and back (like the ORISKANY), I'd throw in an extra 5, maybe more depending on what they helped you with. Like if they take your rental tanks back to the shop, so you can take the short cut home...

On a liveaboard, 10% of the cost.

I usually tip around 10 for myself and 10 for my wife if she goes. On my wifes first couple of boat dives, I tipped quite a bit more, as she needed more help.

$5/tank is a good rule of thumb...
Let me tell you how much it REALY costs to lead. My insurance for 4 months was 359? I think. Working 3 day weekends diving two days most of the time with lots of DSDs in the afternoon. I had my base pay which was quite good as I played both Capt and Inst and tips. Factor in the fact that I have to have insurance for the next 7 years incase some student later on dies and the long hours people dont see ( that gear does not get washed, dried and put away by it's self ya know?) Fueling the boat, basic maintance, waiting for no shows ( I dont get paid for that and I lost money by turning away people that DID want to go). Ya, it certanly is not about the money as I figure it costs me about $50 to take you diving! Here is another. I take pics and email them for free, most places charge. Most, 90% plus cant even reply that they got them and say thanks....
I also find the more of a PITA the diver is the less I will be tipped.

Wildcard:
I also find the more of a PITA the diver is the less I will be tipped.

I find the more the of a PITA the divermaster is the less I tip.

Last trip, amount spent on diving $1320, tips $0.

IMHO, tipping is a PITA. I much prefer people just do their *&^% job and be paid a fair wage. I think the USA is the only country where tipping is so prevalent.

Scared Silly:

IMHO, tipping is a PITA. I much prefer people just do their *&^% job and be paid a fair wage. I think the USA is the only country where tipping is so prevalent.

The problem with your assessment is that most DMs DON'T get paid a fair wage. They depend on tips the same way a waitress who gets paid $2.25 hr. depends on tips. I just did 16 dives in Roatan and the total bill for the dives was around $350 plus $175 for two specialties. I tipped a total of $175.....$75 & $50 to specific DMs and $50 into the tip box. The DM's made the entire experience a true pleasure!

I normally go on extended charters. If the service is super I go 15%. The normal they expect is 10%. However if I am on a budget charter ($899 for 5 days, 6 nights) I tip 15%-20%. I figure they are the lowest paid.

Scared Silly:

I think I dove with you. Next time I will not point out that you put your wet suit on backwards, your air is not on and your mask is fogging before you get in the water because you do not know what your doing.
If DMs/Inst were paid a fair wage your trip would have been more in the three grand range!
Its not so much about the money as people saying thanks for a great job. Words dont buy the beer thou!

On our upcoming trip, it's costing $1432 and then they just added $387 on top for taxes and tip (Total=$1819).
This solves the problem of tipping I believe.

Tip what you feel is appropriate.

A certain instructor that I know will never see a single cent in tip from me, while others (DMs, instructors, etc) will see a decent tip every time. Good service should be rewarded, bad service should not be.

liuk3:
On our upcoming trip, it's costing $1432 and then they just added $387 on top for taxes and tip (Total=$1819).
This solves the problem of tipping I believe.
No it does not. Forced tips are not the answer. Those just piss me off. In fact I always point that out. "I got great service and would have tipped much more but you set the rate"
Tips are a way of saying " I had a great time and it was worth paying extra for"... OTH I think $5 is too much to expect for a tip for a crappy $15 burger and greasy fries that I had to wait half an hour for and served up by a Bit%^&l ittle girl with no education or training in cust service.
In Hawaii, we get paid $60 as Inst or Capt for the day. Neither was easy or cheap to get plus we have to put up with a bunch of JA tourists who trash the boat with pineapple and puke, leave there trash around for us to clean up, depend on us totaly as they cant afford a watch or computer to keep them alive then say "thanks I had a great time" and leave. It's a slap in the face.
Id say 30% at best of certed divers are fun to dive with, the rest are a PITA. 30% makes it worthwhile IMHO. Sure aint the tips or money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom