Tipping in Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbjclj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We are headed to Palau on Wed (4 more sleeps Jake 11:D) Any hints on tipping. We are diving with Sam's and staying at PPR and Sea Passions.

Many thanks

I have no advice but am hoping you will post about the trip when you return, as I am thinking of going in May and doing the same hotel/dive op that you mention

If you want to leave a tip at Sam's the cashier has tip envelopes. I forget what the standard is, $5 a tank seems to ring a bell.

I think the custom is to tip your friend Jake 11 about $20 a day!! Ha ha!

We are headed to Palau on Wed (4 more sleeps Jake 11:D) Any hints on tipping. We are diving with Sam's and staying at PPR and Sea Passions.

Many thanks

I think we ended up tipping $4-5 per day for Sam's (they lost a large proportion of their tip due to the guide being a bit of an ass) and Sea Passions got nothing unless the group leader tipped them without our knowledge. We were a group of 8 or so...

restaurants got whatever it evened out to per person or if the service was fantastic everyone threw in a few $$ more as well.

but don't necessarily take that as the standard, we are cheap aussies who don't believe in tipping :wink:

somewhere to go that we loved was the Kramer's bar, it's a bit of a yacht'ies bar and a pretty fun venue, food is great. ask the hotel/Sam's staff how to get there, it's in an industrial area, but worth the walk.

$5 per tank is the standard. I liked the breakfast at the Sea Passion that they included. Nice buffet. The grill at Sam's has good post dive food at a good price. Have someone point out the shortcut between Sam's and the Sea Passion. You just cut between some houses, don't mind the dogs :) . They only bite tourists - Kidding. At night I worried the first time as I felt like I was cutting across a neighborhood party but everyone was very friendly, no worries, just smile and wave.

I know this thread is pretty old, but the link above doesn’t seem to work and I’m wondering if the guideline of $5/tank is still a good rule to follow? Also, I’ve heard that you should tip the boat driver as well?

We are doing 3 dives a day and there is 1-2 dive guides per day (usually a ‘lead’ guide and one other guide who is gaining experience).

Would love to hear if there is any more current suggestions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom