Tipping is not the name of a town in China.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you had paid any attention to my other posts I have not used "local" dive ops much. This mostly because I live right next to a fairly large body of water and have access to a boat myself.
And wether youre giving nothing but "expected service" as a waiter, a receptionist, a dive master or anything else here really has very little to do with it as the minimum wage is the same for all employees regardless of what you work with.

Can you guys PLEASE stop making this about "Tigerman dont tip, because hes trying to be a cheap bastard" and pay some attention to what I actually write instead of reading things into it thats just not there?
I NEVER stated I dont tip, I stated its not EXPECTED HERE and that the reason why people get away with paying less than what many consider "fair wages" is simply a result of being able to defend it by calling tip a part of your wages and that was a direct answer to the post above where I said it.
I DO tip where its expected and I DO tip for "above standard" service here as well, even if its not expected.

If you had paid any attention to my other posts I have not used "local" dive ops much. This mostly because I live right next to a fairly large body of water and have access to a boat myself.

Can you guys PLEASE stop making this about "Tigerman dont tip, because hes trying to be a cheap bastard" and pay some attention to what I actually write instead of reading things into it thats just not there?

I DO tip where its expected and I DO tip for "above standard" service here as well, even if its not expected.

Fair response. In post 19 you implied that when you tipped dive ops - which was the discussion at the time, you preferred not to use a credit card. Forgive my confusion.

So to rephrase my question, of the dive ops you have used where tipping isn't the norm, how often have they achieved that "above standard" you describe as being worthy of your tip?

As to "Tigerman dont tip, because hes trying, etc." (sic)........I haven't seen anyone here say that. It's interesting that you mentioned it.

More often than not..

I rarely use dive boats other then when I am on vacation so I asked in a number of threads here and elsewhere about what to tip and got answers from $5 a tank to $20 for a half day two tank dive. I just came back from a week in the Keys, dove with three ops in six days and I was the only one putting money in the jar. With all the money people spend on equipment why is an extra $20 for a tip too much?
I've only been on a few boats in my limited diving. On one I tipped nothing because the crew pissed me off by interrupting my dive (calling me back to the boat on a Crystal River float dive, not once but twice) and the others I paid I think about $15 for two tank dives. When I have tipped, I just put it in the jar to be sure the boat crew gets the money, not the dive shop/op owner. I've known far too many businesses where CC tips don't get to the intended person to think all dive ops are honest about it.

That said, an "extra $20 for a tip" can quite easily add up when you're paying for multiple divers, multiple trips, multiple days. For example, I'm covering the costs of diving for me and my brother on an upcoming 6 diving day trip. That's 2 people for at least 1 two-tank trip every day, with a strong likelihood of a couple days with as many as 5 tanks. If I'm paying $10/tank, that means I have to account for somewhere between $240 (for 12 dives each) and $420 just in tips, on top of the $70 per person I'm already paying for the dive trips. It makes a big difference in my budgeting for the trip. Luckily my brother will be paying his own tips, at least. If he wasn't we certainly would have to have cut our dive days by at least one, possibly two.

EDIT: For specifics I generally have considered a good pre-dive brief and listening to my experience level and interests when the DM has offered to find me a buddy. Also if they're polite and helpful but actually listen when I ask to set up my own gear or give me specific answers to questions.

If they simply lug my gear onto the boat, give a cursory dive brief and don't offer to help me find a buddy, they are far less likely to get a tip.

---------- Post added April 20th, 2012 at 01:48 PM ----------

Many comsumers prefer to use credit cards because it costs them nothing extra and they get "free" rewards (nothing is free). Many gas stations tried using Cash/Credit pricing but customers complained about the practice and the credit card companies pushed hard to get it stopped. Therefore, it becomes a cost of doing business since most consumers don't understand the economics. I am friends with many small business owners with all kinds of businesses (appliances, clothing, autos, scuba gear, rentals, etc.) and across the board they hate credit cards. If they didn't have to eat those credit card fees, 99% will tell you they would have lower everyday prices. Next time you are buying a good amount of scuba gear, ask the owner if he/she will give a discount for cash or check. I'd bet you'll get a good discount. My LDS loves to give an extra discount for cash.

Credit card agreements specifically forbid merchants from giving cash discounts (except gas stations which the major gasoline companies had forced them to accept) until congress finally passed a law against the practice recently, over the loud objections of the banks. It is slowly becoming more common to have "discount for cash" once again since the CC companies can't threaten to take away their CC acceptance. Unfortunately, credit cards are nearly mandatory due to general consumer demand, so merchants must build the cost into their prices. I prefer to use cash and avoid the surcharge (get a discount) if possible. If you are in business and see the thousands of dollars a month going down the drain to the credit card companies, you'd hate it too.

So I don't hijack the thread any farther, I will try to refrain from any other reply about credit cards.
This brings up a question I've never gotten a clean answer on... when I use my debit card (I don't use credit cards) and the merchant offers the option of debit or credit, does the merchant get charged the same? I'm all for reducing the merchant's cost and willingly use the debit option whenever possible but I don't know that I'm actually reducing the cost for them. Anyone know the answer?

---------- Post added April 20th, 2012 at 01:51 PM ----------

You really want to stick with that? What is the markup on a 6-pack at a convenience store?.... come on now. Your customers want to use plastic, period. You might not like it, but without it you wouldn't be able to open keep the doors open.

The credit card companies compete quite hard for our business. I like that. When that happens I win.

Credit cards give me an opportunity dispute a charge. Try that after you have already handed over cash
I'll have to disagree with you on this one... we have a whole slew of "cash only" gas stations that are generally about 10 cents a gallon cheaper (sometimes only 3 or 4 cents) than the stations that take plastic too. Those gas stations are having no problems keeping their doors open...

Last edited:
Tips for servers in the US were historically 10-15% pre tax. Then the resturant associations promoted 15-20% and that became the norm. The new norm, 15-20% post tax. The resturants promote this so they basically don't have to pay wages and payroll taxes, unless you believe the price of meals are in decline or something.

I prefer to be on the high end when I am tipping. If the service is good I always tip 20%. The two tank half day charters I went out on charged $85 plus tax so a $20 tip worked out to between 21-22% with the tax included. The tip jar still seems to me like the best way to go so no one gets left out. Handing it to one person also sounds good if are getting some kind of special consideration but in my very limited experience so far I have yet to see that. Maybe my problem is I do not know what is considered standard service vs outstanding service but I do know what bad service is. Only on one trip did I tip nothing due to bad service. What would you consider to be outstanding service that would warrant a better tip?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom