Tipping is not the name of a town in China.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did this thread become about crops? What idiot started this thread any how? Oh, wait, never mind. No tip required for this little bit of insight.

:D :rofl3:

The food prices actually very GREATLY around the world and the supply is not neccesarilly the factor. Cost of living, average paychecks and other factors is much more influential when it come to prices.

I have no idea what a 3-day dive trip would be here to be honest as I have never done one.
However if I want to dive at Saltstrumen, which is somwhere I DO want to dive as its one of the worlds best divesites and also the worlds strongest maelstrom, meaning you should never dive there unless youre with someone familiar with the site it would cost me;
1. check out dive - mandatory: USD 44
2. The guided dive: USD 61
wich totals 105 USD for two dives.
In addition they charge 10USD per air fill and the prices is not included rental of any gear.

I have a semi-local dive center here that does arrange trips twice a week, but I havent had the chance to go with them yet due to my work schedules, but I think they charge USD 35 for 1 dive on the week day and USD 55 for 2 dives in the weekend. Both not including any gear.

Ok, I guess I have SOME idea, but the prices seem to vary wildly :p

I asked a simple question: "What does a 3 dive full day boat trip cost in Norway"?

Not a very hard question, but you can't answer it....

I would think someone who is smart enough to dive should be smart enough to handling tipping without melting down....... I was wrong!

I have no idea what a 3-day dive trip would be here to be honest as I have never done one.
However if I want to dive at Saltstrumen, which is somwhere I DO want to dive as its one of the worlds best divesites and also the worlds strongest maelstrom, meaning you should never dive there unless youre with someone familiar with the site it would cost me;
1. check out dive - mandatory: USD 44
2. The guided dive: USD 61
wich totals 105 USD for two dives.
In addition they charge 10USD per air fill and the prices is not included rental of any gear.

I have a semi-local dive center here that does arrange trips twice a week, but I havent had the chance to go with them yet due to my work schedules, but I think they charge USD 35 for 1 dive on the week day and USD 55 for 2 dives in the weekend. Both not including any gear.

Ok, I guess I have SOME idea, but the prices seem to vary wildly :p

Is that tip included?

Grumpyoldguy...don't pick on Tigerman. It's just that according to his response to me back on page 2, we Americans quite possibly cannot understand the subtlety of his superior Norwegian logic.

Last edited:
I asked a simple question: "What does a 3 dive full day boat trip cost in Norway"?

Not a very hard question, but you can't answer it....

I would think someone who is smart enough to dive should be smart enough to handling tipping without melting down....... I was wrong!
Geeze, go to the bathroom and get that thong out of your ass will you?

bilsant: you wouldnt normally tip a dive op in Norway as all the staff is paid fairly by their employers. Of course you wont be scalded for tipping and tipping for good service is customary, but there is no employees in Norway dependant of tips

At rates equal to or lower than what the local dive ops charge around here, I'd be curious what that sustainable wage is that dive op staff in Norway make so that they don't need tips.

I read what you said very carefully.

Following your statement, if tipping for good service is customary, and you don't normally tip, does that mean the service isn't normally good?

or is there another reason you don't tip?

At the risk of paraphrasing an entirely pointless debate: tipping is customary in North America and a number of other countries. However, in other places in the world it is not done, and in some places it is even frowned upon as being insulting.

At rates equal to or lower than what the local dive ops charge around here, I'd be curious what that sustainable wage is that dive op staff in Norway make so that they don't need tips.

I read what you said very carefully.

Following your statement, if tipping for good service is customary, and you don't normally tip, does that mean the service isn't normally good?

or is there another reason you don't tip?
By "good service" I of course mean, "better than whats to be expected".
Staff is expected to be polite and make sure you get your food and drinks and theire paid for it.
And as for the pay, the MINIMUM hourly pay in Norway is ~22 USD and its ILLEGAL to have anyone employed for less.

As for my first reply it was a direct reply to WHY employers many places get away with with not paying decent wages and nothing more.

By "good service" I of course mean, "better than whats to be expected".
Staff is expected to be polite and make sure you get your food and drinks and theire paid for it.
And as for the pay, the MINIMUM hourly pay in Norway is ~22 USD and its ILLEGAL to have anyone employed for less.

As for my first reply it was a direct reply to WHY employers many places get away with with not paying decent wages and nothing more.

True or false- in Norway it's customary for a service charge to be included in a restaurant bill?

True or false - at $22.00 an hour the average minimum wage earner would work 1 1/2 days in order to be able to buy a pair of Levi 501 jeans in Norway?

I dont like putting money in the TIP jar because I dont like being solicited so to speak. I do however give the tip to a deserving crew usually by hand. I have had good experiences with dive crews and I have had bad. But I dont like it when for example the boats crew that stays behind is rude and very unhelpful but the in water divemaster went out of their way to make the dive spectacular then having to put the money in the jar for the 2 to split. If the boat crew was aweful then I dont want to reward that behavior yet I do want to reward the inwater divemaster for an outstanding job.

I just never have been a fan of when people give a speach and make it a point to tell you about the tip jar and give a 5 minute speach on it. A quick word that its there if we would like to tip would be more appropriate then telling me their kids have not eaten in a week and their rent is 2 months behind.

True or false- in Norway it's customary for a service charge to be included in a restaurant bill?
False, the bill is including tax (which is actually higher if you eat in than if you take-away, but thats another topic entirely), but no service charge. The price posted in the menu when you order is what you pay.
If youre feeling the service warrants a tip however, its appreciated, but not expected.

True or false - at $22.00 an hour the average minimum wage earner would work 1 1/2 days in order to be able to buy a pair of Levi 501 jeans in Norway?
Approxmately, after income tax, if my recollection of the prices of Levi's is correct.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom