Tipping is not the name of a town in China.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The new TOS makes me hesitate to post the link, but for the final word from at least one perspective, google "Mr. Pink on Tipping Youtube".

In my opinion, one of the problems is more and more those who are at the point of sale or have direct customer contact now expect a cash gratuity, whether it is a tip jar at the register at duncan donuts or $ 10.00 for taking my fins when I climb on the boat. Employers now use this as an excuse to keep wages lower than deserved, pointing out the tip factor.

Now the guy I would like to give a little something to is the person at the factory that built my regulator, or crafted my guitar or a little something for the crew that built my truck that is problem free.

Last edited:
Let's be honest. When you tip cash, 100% goes into the pockets of those who earn it and taxes are rarely deducted.

When you tip on the CC, not only do 3-5% go to the bank, but the business owner by law must withhold taxes before passing the remainder to the guys/gals who earned it. They get stuck paying 30-40% taxes (fed, state, social security x 2, etc...). Their meager paycheck gets whacked royally.

A lot of meager paychecks get whacked royally. Mine (some meager, some not-so-meager) have gotten whacked since I've been employed as a teenager, but my taxes get paid every year. Obviously, I'm in the "pay your taxes" camp.

---------- Post added April 16th, 2012 at 05:53 PM ----------

Personally I'd like to see scuba trip prices that are true, which they aren't since they don't include tips, fees, gas surchase, park fees, chamber contributions and whatever other costs may be lurking.

Sure, the sticker price will be higher at the outset, but we end up paying the extra costs anyway, so there's no monetary difference other than a marketing advantage of having a lower initial price.

.......Sure, the sticker price will be higher at the outset, but we end up paying the extra costs anyway, so there's no monetary difference other than a marketing advantage of having a lower initial price.

I think you are disregarding that a businessperson adds a significant margin to any expenses they incur.
When you pay for a service by tipping its like buying direct, no mark up.
When you pay up front, you are going thru a middleman who is taking his share (30-50%) before paying the server.

Sometime compare the price for a meal out in the US (with tips) vs the UK (no tips).

Yeah, cause comparing prices in two different countries makes PERFECTLY good sense..
Ohwait, no it sure as hell dont cause every country have different prices for different reasons on pretty much everything..

Yeah, cause comparing prices in two different countries makes PERFECTLY good sense..
Ohwait, no it sure as hell dont cause every country have different prices for different reasons on pretty much everything..

The food supply is part of a global commodity market, the wholesales prices don't vary that much between countries. The other big variable in restaurant cost is, oh yeah labor cost.

Back to diving, just for the heck of it, what does a 3 dive full day boat cost in Norway?

Here it ranges from 90-130 USD.... plus tip

The food supply is part of a global commodity market, the wholesales prices don't vary that much between countries. The other big variable in restaurant cost is, oh yeah labor cost.

Back to diving, just for the heck of it, what does a 3 dive full day boat cost in Norway?

They can actually vary quite a bit. A combination of differences in home grown crops versus imports, agricultural subsidies, and a host of other factors.

---------- Post added April 17th, 2012 at 12:09 AM ----------

As a general statement, when I go to the UK (and no, I don't take notes) my casual observation / impression is that the numerical value on a menu is often very close to what I would expect to see in Canada. At 1.6, you can't tell me that the difference is tipping. That just isn't credible.

They can actually vary quite a bit. A combination of differences in home grown crops versus imports, agricultural subsidies, and a host of other factors.

---------- Post added April 17th, 2012 at 12:09 AM ----------

As a general statement, when I go to the UK (and no, I don't take notes) my casual observation / impression is that the numerical value on a menu is often very close to what I would expect to see in Canada. At 1.6, you can't tell me that the difference is tipping. That just isn't credible.

Of course tipping is not the whole issue, pardon the pun, its the tip of the iceberg, no more. The US has a knack for reducing the distribution cost of goods and services. These are not necessary benevolent systems being capitalistic in nature, but they are efficient. Walmart, Costco, Home Depot and corporations focused on this, Tipping is a custom developed with the same goal. Each contributes to efficiency, while sometimes taking advantage of the less skilled labor pool.

The food prices actually very GREATLY around the world and the supply is not neccesarilly the factor. Cost of living, average paychecks and other factors is much more influential when it come to prices.

I have no idea what a 3-day dive trip would be here to be honest as I have never done one.
However if I want to dive at Saltstrumen, which is somwhere I DO want to dive as its one of the worlds best divesites and also the worlds strongest maelstrom, meaning you should never dive there unless youre with someone familiar with the site it would cost me;
1. check out dive - mandatory: USD 44
2. The guided dive: USD 61
wich totals 105 USD for two dives.
In addition they charge 10USD per air fill and the prices is not included rental of any gear.

I have a semi-local dive center here that does arrange trips twice a week, but I havent had the chance to go with them yet due to my work schedules, but I think they charge USD 35 for 1 dive on the week day and USD 55 for 2 dives in the weekend. Both not including any gear.

Ok, I guess I have SOME idea, but the prices seem to vary wildly :p

How did this thread become about crops? What idiot started this thread any how? Oh, wait, never mind. No tip required for this little bit of insight.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom