Tipping is not the name of a town in China.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich Keller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I rarely use dive boats other then when I am on vacation so I asked in a number of threads here and elsewhere about what to tip and got answers from $5 a tank to $20 for a half day two tank dive. I just came back from a week in the Keys, dove with three ops in six days and I was the only one putting money in the jar. With all the money people spend on equipment why is an extra $20 for a tip too much?

I never got a consensus on how much to tip but most people said if there was a tip jar to use it and the crew would split it up as they saw fit. I went with the jar so I would not be leaving anyone out of their fair share of a tip.

I've never used the jar either, I always hand it to the DM. $5 per tank. Some DMs actually do stuff like dive down to hook into a wreck or...I don't know what else...while others basically just stand near the back of the boat and check your air for you. I'm not sure how operators get away with not paying their DMs at least minimum wage.

They get away with it because we keep paying their wage for them through a surcharge disguised as "tip", thats how..

They get away with it because we keep paying their wage for them through a surcharge disguised as "tip", thats how..

Yeah, its a real bitch learning to adapt to the customs of another country.......

Yeah, its a real bitch learning to adapt to the customs of another country.......

Well, Ill leave that to be your opinion..
ktomlinson asked how they get away with it and thats how.. If people did not tip, people would not work FOR tip either.

I always hand a tip to the DM on the boat who helped me in and out of the water with my camera rig. The dive shops usually make them all pool tips and split them but I make sure the person helping me knows I appreciate it very much. $10 per tank for great service, less if they didn't offer much help. I get seasick easily so some on the boat help me more than others if I need it.

I don't really know why, but I've never used a tip jar. I generally make a point of shaking hands with the DM who helped me and passing anywhere from 5 to 10 per tank. Most of the people I dive with do it that way or add it to the payment on their credit card.

Odds are pretty good tipping was going on around you and you didn't spot it.

Unless perhaps the other divers on the boat were from Norway?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom