Tipping is not the name of a town in China.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having worked some boats along with my won, I always make sure I tip at least $10 per diver in my group before we leave the dock and make a big deal of it in front of my fellow divers. The crews know me and I hope appreciate my "Vanna White" display.

I had no idea they even had credit cards in Norway.

Tipping is a very personal thing and it's also very cultural. Anyone working in a service industry and deals with tourist knows in advance which clients based on their nationality will most likely tip or not, it's why Americans are so beloved, dive masters know we tip better and more consistently than anyone else in the world. Our culture of being the most generous people on the planet precedes us where ever we go.

We dove with an op in Key Largo a couple of years back that kept pushing/asking for tips every 5-10 minutes for the entire trip out and back. It pissed me off (and its pretty hard to piss me off when I am on vacation,) needless to say and the capt received nada, zip, nothin. The DM on the other hand received a 20 from me.

I had no idea they even had credit cards in Norway.

Tipping is a very personal thing and it's also very cultural. Anyone working in a service industry and deals with tourist knows in advance which clients based on their nationality will most likely tip or not, it's why Americans are so beloved, dive masters know we tip better and more consistently than anyone else in the world. Our culture of being the most generous people on the planet precedes us where ever we go.

+1

Sent from my DROID X2

We dove with an op in Key Largo a couple of years back that kept pushing/asking for tips every 5-10 minutes for the entire trip out and back. It pissed me off (and its pretty hard to piss me off when I am on vacation,) needless to say and the capt received nada, zip, nothin. The DM on the other hand received a 20 from me.

I've seen the same behavior on keys boats, they're almost like panhandlers with a captive audience. Tipping $20 convinces them the strategy works

Remember tips are not required but I do it, if I get really lousy service then I tip accordingly. Its an individual thing and hey if you do you do.

I rarely use dive boats other then when I am on vacation so I asked in a number of threads here and elsewhere about what to tip and got answers from $5 a tank to $20 for a half day two tank dive. I just came back from a week in the Keys, dove with three ops in six days and I was the only one putting money in the jar. With all the money people spend on equipment why is an extra $20 for a tip too much?

I tip about as much as i would at a restaurant. If the two tank dive cost me 65 bucks, then ill give a 10 buck tip to be split amongst whoever.

Ill tell you what tho, ive never watched the other divers to see if they are tipping. Why should i? That seems like you are looking for things to upset you

I tip about as much as i would at a restaurant. If the two tank dive cost me 65 bucks, then ill give a 10 buck tip to be split amongst whoever.

Ill tell you what tho, ive never watched the other divers to see if they are tipping. Why should i? That seems like you are looking for things to upset you

I tipped $20 for two tank half day dives that cost me $85. As I stated earlier I rarely use dive charters and was looking to see what the common practice among divers who do use dive charters regularly was. I did not want to under tip someone if they had earned a good tip.

I normally tip the DM directly. Some of my buddies add it to the bill when they settle up.

That goes right to the owner of the shop. In my experience as an instructor, boat captain and long time DM, we NEVER saw the tip when it was added to the bill.

Congrats the owner.

I think OP has a valid question, and watching others would help him to figure it out. Not everyone wants to be a "rugged individual".

ETA: I'm paying attention, I will have to figure the tip into my budget, I don't have 20's falling from my pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom