Tipping is not the name of a town in China.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha Ha Ha.
Where did I say I (or norwegians in general) dont tip?
I explained WHY they can get away with not paying staff properly, as was ktomlinsons question..

Then again, I shouldnt have expected americans to see the difference..

Generally, "American" is capitalized - for a reason.

But as a peace offering, please allow me to let you feel superior because you had the last word.

I just came back from the DR. I did a three dive day trip with two DM. I gave each DM 20$, the other two divers gave zero. I was disappointed that I was the only tipper. I watched to see I they tipped but they did not.

I also usually give the boat operator $5 and the DM $10 for a two tank boat dive.

Our usual dive spot is in mex. One deck hand on our usual boat with dive cons from our Lds. Same deck hand every trip and he and the capt. offer excellent service. We usually tip 200-250ps per day per person. I usually tip for him to not fiddle with my gear. I'd hate to get a pinch flat from someone trying to be to helpful.

Odds are pretty good tipping was going on around you and you didn't spot it.

I was keeping an eye out for that because I do not do this regularly and wanted to see what was commonly done. I do not think I missed anything but it is of course possible.

A wad if bills can transferr amazingly hidden during a handshake :)
Or of course people could have been skimpy/unhappy with the percived service level.

A wad if bills can transferr amazingly hidden during a handshake :)
Or of course people could have been skimpy/unhappy with the percived service level.

The service was very good with two out of the three ops so in those cases people should not have been unhappy.

Sometimes the tip could be away from the boat, or settle up afterwards (as was stated otherwise).

With the prevalent use of Credit Cards and the like, there is an excellent chance they just factored the tip into that. I personally try to give the DMs cash (both for tax reasons as well as immediate access to the tip).

I preferr avoiding doing the tip by CC when diving simply because Id like to know for sure the money goes to the person(s) theire intended for.

From an ops perspective-I don't allow tip buckets or solicitations. What I have observed however, are generous tips to both the skipper and DM. I really don't care how they split it, that's up to them. With a little experience they develop an awareness of which "buttons to push" to get the gratuity. Attention and genuine care for the divers' needs naturally generates the extra thank you's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom