Tipping is not the name of a town in China.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People...all of you that said you're disappointed when you saw that you're the only person putting money in the tip jar...not for those that complain about not getting a tip...and not for the employer who counts on customers supplementing the wages that should be paid...remember what a TIP is....it is not something you should expect from every paying customer...it's to say thank you to somebody that goes beyond expected duties that you've already paid for.

So because you had great service, doesn't mean that the next guy had great service.

I too am in the business and when I get a TIP, I am very appreciative of getting that TIP and always say thank you and in most cases send a written thank you.

Come on now.... No one has to accept credit cards. You could go back to accepting checks, and setting up credit with individual customers, and the bad debt that goes along with that. Or, cash only. I know a few very establishments that are cash only.

Credit cards make very easy for your customers to spend money with your business. Don't make the bank out to be the bad guy.

I was previously in the gas station & convenience store business. The bank makes way more on a gallon of gasoline than the store owner. That's not right in my book. People should wake up and realize, the more you use plastic, the more the bank becomes the gatekeeper to your funds. Those fees aren't going down, they'll just keep going up. I don't like the system where there is a huge fee for electronically giving access to your money. Remember when, in the "old days" there was no charge for processing your checks?? That took much more physical handling and processing of paper transactions. Not it's all done in a split second with computers yet they are charging 3-5% on the transaction. Why do you think most credit cards now have big rewards programs? Because they make huge money charging that processing fee.

Pay & tip in cash! 100% goes to the merchant.

If that's how you felt, then why did your business accept credit cards and/or checks?

Did they publish discounted prices for cash transactions? Why or why not?

Many comsumers prefer to use credit cards because it costs them nothing extra and they get "free" rewards (nothing is free). Many gas stations tried using Cash/Credit pricing but customers complained about the practice and the credit card companies pushed hard to get it stopped. Therefore, it becomes a cost of doing business since most consumers don't understand the economics. I am friends with many small business owners with all kinds of businesses (appliances, clothing, autos, scuba gear, rentals, etc.) and across the board they hate credit cards. If they didn't have to eat those credit card fees, 99% will tell you they would have lower everyday prices. Next time you are buying a good amount of scuba gear, ask the owner if he/she will give a discount for cash or check. I'd bet you'll get a good discount. My LDS loves to give an extra discount for cash.

Credit card agreements specifically forbid merchants from giving cash discounts (except gas stations which the major gasoline companies had forced them to accept) until congress finally passed a law against the practice recently, over the loud objections of the banks. It is slowly becoming more common to have "discount for cash" once again since the CC companies can't threaten to take away their CC acceptance. Unfortunately, credit cards are nearly mandatory due to general consumer demand, so merchants must build the cost into their prices. I prefer to use cash and avoid the surcharge (get a discount) if possible. If you are in business and see the thousands of dollars a month going down the drain to the credit card companies, you'd hate it too.

So I don't hijack the thread any farther, I will try to refrain from any other reply about credit cards.

....I was previously in the gas station & convenience store business. The bank makes way more on a gallon of gasoline than the store owner. That's not right in my book ....

You really want to stick with that? What is the markup on a 6-pack at a convenience store?.... come on now. Your customers want to use plastic, period. You might not like it, but without it you wouldn't be able to open keep the doors open.

The credit card companies compete quite hard for our business. I like that. When that happens I win.

Credit cards give me an opportunity dispute a charge. Try that after you have already handed over cash

I was previously in the gas station & convenience store business. The bank makes way more on a gallon of gasoline than the store owner.

In New York there are two prices for the same gallon of gas at some stations, one for cash and one for credit. As far as credit cards go it is a way of life now for paying most tabs but I always tip in cash.

That goes right to the owner of the shop. In my experience as an instructor, boat captain and long time DM, we NEVER saw the tip when it was added to the bill.

Congrats the owner.
This is why I place it directly into the right person's hand.

Cash in the hand of those giving you great service is the most direct method to ensure the right person is thanked properly. No middleman, no withholding, no reduction.

In New York there are two prices for the same gallon of gas at some stations, one for cash and one for credit...
Down here, we have a Chevron station on Powerline Road that posts a cash price and then a cash price WITH a car wash - no mention of the credit price that is, of course, much higher.
I don't want to broadly paint the owners of the station as slippery, slimy weasels since for all I know, they're using the slippery, slimy profits to feed the starving people in Darfur in western Sudan or perhaps provide underground medical in the beseiged city of Homs, Syria.
You never know - I had a customer years ago on a dive boat in Hawaii - this was an older guy who turned out to be a major western supplier of arms, medical and food aid to the Karen people of northern Burma. Twice a year, he'd fly in and dodge the best efforts of the then-Burmese army who had a posted price on his head. If there is a city in China named Tipping, it would be somewhere over there in the Golden Triangle.

Down here, we have a Chevron station on Powerline Road that posts a cash price and then a cash price WITH a car wash - no mention of the credit price that is, of course, much higher.

The station posts a cash price....So what's the problem.... Same thing all the BP stations, price on the sign clearly posted as the cash price. Sounds good to me since there are a lot of people, especially new drivers that don't necessarily have credit cards.

You can still use plastic, but the owner isn't going to eat the fee. His choice and yours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom