Tipping on Red Sea liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adr1an

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Would you care to share your experiences with tipping on Red Sea liveaboards? As in the specifics (day to day or/plus envelopes at the end, separate for crew/divemasters or not and so on) plus amounts. Looking to figure out what to expect.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks, I made this topic after reading a few pages on the Galapagos one. Hoping to get a few people to share their first hand experiences on this matter (people who went with Red Sea liveaboards in recent years.)

Same as everywhere. Up to you. 5-10% reasonable.

If you got some exceptional service can tip privately to a person.

Red sea liveaboards are cheap enough. Don't be a cheapo

Egypt is not "same as everywhere" by any stretch of imagination. I'm looking forward to reading some first hand experience, generic advice like "same as everywhere" and "don't be a cheapo" aren't exactly useful.

I'll try and be more specific. I've only been on T&C, red sea, and Indo liveaboards.

The culture of tipping comes from Americans tipping abroad. That's why it's pretty consistent what people expect. Doesn't matter the country.

If you are confused, just ask your DM and crew what they expect. What is expected and what you actually give is up to you. That's what a tip is.

Whether it is separate for DM and crew or one envelope depends on the boat. Why does it matter that much?

It's always at the end. Unless it's a day boat and the crew changes daily. But that wouldn't be a liveaboard.

Keep in mind I've only been in the Caribbean, red sea, and Indonesia.

I've given the answer. 5-10% is about as accurate as I can give. Seems consistent everywhere I've stayed. The rest of my answer was an attempt to add humor. Sorry it wasn't useful. Wasn't expecting those parts to be useful.

It's always a secret. Every liveaboard I've been on. Nobody is keeping track of how much you tip. That's why I said don't be a cheapo.

I've been in several liveaboards in Indonesia, GBR, Red Sea, Galapagos, Palau, Maldives, Socorro & Cocos. @foob is in the ballpark.

Most of the liveaboards provide you an envelop & a box for you to drop the envelop into. Some also let you put the tips into the credit card charges at the end during billing.

”Normal” is €50-60 for a week. I put most to the crew when there are separate boxes/envelopes crew-DM:s if no special reasons are evident for somthing else (they make the least).
BTW baksheesh is not American.

Perhaps not but it does seem to be the Americans that get the most aggressive bearing other countries men to not be cheapos.

Back
Top Bottom