Tipping your OW instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Short answer(IMO), No---X2....If they wanted more, they would charge you more.........

As an instructor, I always politely refuse if offered. I tell them that if they are diving at the quarry (where we do the OW checkouts) again in the future, to maybe buy me a tank of air and I would go on a dive with them. Something like that to encourage them to come out and keep diving.

Do you tip your OW instructor? Do you tip your OW instructor on a referral certification?

If you felt that the instructor really went above-and-beyond for you; it certainly is a nice gesture. I'm sure that there are instructors trying to make a living that could use a bit extra money to pay the bills. That said, although I've been offered a tip, I've never taken one. The offer is however, always appreciated. :)

Luckily, I rarely have to certify cyber divers like y'all. Do you tip the hotel bellman or bartender? You do realize that most hotel bellmen or bartenders make at least twice as much money as neighboring dive instructors, along with having health insurance and retirement that most instructors don't have.

If the price was higher to pay the instructor better you would have gone somewhere else! Even my Canadian students tip!

Yes you should tip your instructor heavily at all levels of training :D

Actually I have never accepted a tip from my students although if they offer I tell them I would rather read on scubaboard or another forum how much they enjoyed their training experience.

Hi Dave,

Second that!

Chris

Luckily, I rarely have to certify cyber divers like y'all. Do you tip the hotel bellman or bartender? You do realize that most hotel bellmen or bartenders make at least twice as much money as neighboring dive instructors, along with having health insurance and retirement that most instructors don't have.

If the price was higher to pay the instructor better you would have gone somewhere else! Even my Canadian students tip!

Do you consider yourself a professional??.......

No, its inappropriate. A meal, a bottle of wine, all expenses paid to go with you on your next trip ... one, or all, would be fine.

i have gotten tips, forum posted thanks and special thanks letters sent to my certifying agency. I accept all, the same as any other professional service provider. I take very good personal care of my students not for the money but for the love of the sport.

Do you consider yourself a professional??.......

Only if a full time "professional" makes less than half what neighboring hotel bellmen and bartenders make.

Back
Top Bottom