Tipping?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YukonJack

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am headed to Belize in a few days (staying in San Pedro). What are the rules about tipping when you do a two or three tank dive? Also, does the same apply for snorkeling (for non-diving families)?

I usually tip $10 per tank, at the end of the week depending on service I may tip an extra $50 or $100
I never have had a snorkeler on a trip so I have never considered tipping rules for this situation. I would think it would depend on how much work they had to do for the snorkeler.

When diving at a location where the boat Cpt. and crew may vary by the day (ask), we have brought cash with in our pockets & tipped at the end of each day of diving, at the dock. Some shops share the tip with everyone in the boat that day, some do not - the tip goes to whoever it is given (ask again). If someone is assisting your party extra, I would agree, they in particular, have earned your tip. Also consider your experience & "we appreciate assistance" level and/or the degree of "valet" diving provided, when tipping. Have fun!

Somewhat similar as above for snorkelers, I would think (from perhaps no tip - I'm a diver & snorkeling with my snorkeling experienced non-diving spouse) to "Help! They've never done this before and they need you!") - serious "hand holding" ; they earned a "generous" tip. :wink: (Edited).

Last edited:
I tip the DM $10 per tank. Since it's usually an op I know, I usually tip them before leaving the dock. If not, after we return. I take no money on the boat. Since you won't know the op the first day, I recommend tipping when back on shore.
For a snorkeler, my guess would be less of a tip ($5?) since there is no equipment for the DM to lug around and deal with, but that's just a guess.

There are several threads on SB to get some "tips" on diving tipping from. You might look those up. One day I'll figure out how to make a link to other threads.

My suggestions from what I've learned/gleaned and decided to do through the years

1. Tip both your DM (dive master) and boat captain.

2. If doing multiple days of diving, tip each day: I have asked a couple DM's if they prefer to be tipped daily or at the end of the week and they told me that they prefer daily. During the week, there may be different boat captains and DM's and, even with best intentions, a larger tip at the end of the week may not make it to all of the people you dealt with. You may be at a place where someone takes care of your gear (rinse,hang, store) for the week and I admit to tipping that person at the end of the week and not daily (I guess I just wanted to be sure my gear was still in good shape by my last dives.)

3. *The following is only my suggestion (but others do the same)*. Tip a fixed amount (I tip a total of $10 each day: cheaper than some, more than others. Basically $5 a tank, so if I were doing a 3 tank dive, I'd tip $15.) If you feel you received above and beyond service, tip more. Likewise, if service wasn't great, do what you want. We all have our own preferences and different situations call for more planning, but for me, I prefer to carry only a certain amount of cash, so I try and have everything planned that might require extra cash (food, drink, above and beyond tip.)

* Just something to consider for multiple day diving: Some people (the ones whose posts I read in another tipping thread) tip a percentage of their total bill at the end of a week. The problem I see with this is that many dive ops give a lower dive rate for doing multiple days of diving, so in effect the tip would get smaller for each day of diving.

4. Know where you can put your tip. Most DM'S/captains will gladly take a tip from you, but there may be a tip bucket on the boat to put it in, or there may be a tip jar or dedicated tip/message box for each person who is on the staff in the dive shop.

5. Don't worry about what others do. Have been places where some people don't tip at all, but know it is appreciated. Recently dove in Dominican Republic where my buddy and I were the only ones to tip. The DM (a young native of the island) we had for 6 days was the most appreciative recipient of a tip I've ever seen. I got the feeling he didn't see many.

Regarding snorkeling, I've only done the snorkeling/party catamarans, some guided and some non-guided snorkeling, but have generally tipped anywhere from $10-20 for both my wife and I, depending on how busy I kept the bartender!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the heads up and all the great information. Now to see if I can successfully smuggle in my steaks and bacon without getting them confiscated :wink:

My experience in the US is that the Captain either owns the boat or is paid by the dive shop, whereas very often the DM works for tips. Thus, I tip only the DM, not the boss. I tip the pizza delivery guy (even though he gets paid some), but not the owner. That's just me.

Was recently on Ambgris at Ramon's. Tipped $7.50 per tank at the end of the week. Extra for all day trip to Turneffe.

Hope it was good. going to be there tomorrow! Question- As I'm taking my 13 year old daughter- we'll pretty much just be doing local reef dives. for Ramon's Do I need to bring our large dive bags? looks like you board the boats already suited up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom