Question Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two tank dive trip fairly typical pricing seems to be $125.
Who do you dive with? I pay about $80/trip including my 100 cf upgrade with an excellent Op who rinses and stores my gear overnight, picks it up and delivers it at the end.
At $10 bucks a tank, times two people for six days is $240 plus $20 for a one tank night dive =$260. That is what I traditionally tip in Cozumel and it always seems high to me. It seems high because the bill from the dive shop will be around $1100-1200.
I agree, but it's your money. Spend it how you wish. I hate that you add to expectations, but oh well.

Who do you dive with?

I dove in Belize with Sea Sports Belize doing a 2 tank barrier reef dive from a cruise (not through the cruise) for $157.50 not including gear rental.

I dove in Cozumel with Paradise Dive doing a 2 tank dive on the Sam Francisco wall and the Paradise reef for $103.00 not including gear rental. Again on a cruise but not through a cruise.

This past weekend I dove with my local dive shop in Panama City Beach on the big blue dive boat. We did 2 inshore dives each 2 tank dives. Per their website that would have cost $125.00 per inshore trip. Good news, now I own my own gear. Running the math, my LDS isn't gouging me based on boats posted pricing, yeah, I am sure the LDS gets the trip cheaper but I didn't have to book it, swipe and splash...

So that's the extent of my boat dive pricing knowledge.

I dove in Belize with Sea Sports Belize doing a 2 tank barrier reef dive from a cruise (not through the cruise) for $157.50 not including gear rental.

I dove in Cozumel with Paradise Dive doing a 2 tank dive on the Sam Francisco wall and the Paradise reef for $103.00 not including gear rental. Again on a cruise but not through a cruise.
Ok, well, it's nice that you got started. Catering to barge divers even booking direct with the shops is a bigger challenge and some Ops may charge more. Dive Paradise's site for Cozumel quotes $98 for a two tank trip, plus 16% tax plus $5.50 park fee. I guess that adds up to $103 plus tax or so somehow. I never base tip percentages including taxes and fees, so a 20% tip would be about $20. Thanks.

I hope that you plan a weeklong trip to Cozumel soon, get in 10 ore more dives, and have a great trip with lower costs.

I hope that you plan a weeklong trip to Cozumel soon, get in 10 ore more dives, and have a great trip with lower costs.

The current plan is to be back in Cozumel mid to late July for a week. That trip will include 4 two tank boat dives with unlimited shore diving. It also includes food and lodging. I am excited!!

Assuming $100.00 for a 2 tank boat dive, that's a 40% tip. That seems high to me. I tip my Coz dive op staff 20% and some times 25% on special occasions, and they don't seem to be insulted by that.
I have more money than I know what to with and I know these people. Plus, in the whole picture, it really is not that much. I gave 20 dollars a two-tank dive 25 years ago, so this is comparable.

I will say that when I asked this question amongst those at the local shop the answer was a per day not a per tank total. There was also a U.S.A. number and a Mexico number whether that is right or wrong.

Local to you or local to Cozumel? Just curious as to where this advice is coming from.

It was 10 dollars a tank forever for me but I recently upped it to 20 per tank. Inflation.

We have never been on the same boat. I know that because I've never seen anyone tip $20/tank.

Day tripping: On a 6-pack, I'll go with a base tip of 20%. On a cattle car $15 per tank, but I do sidemount, so it can add up.

So you tip more for a cattle boat than a 6-pack?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom