Tips and Techniques Forum

Is a Tips and Techniques Forum a Good Idea?

• Yes

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • No

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A tips and techniques forum would be excellent! As an experienced diver I am always looking for a way to do even the most mundane things easier/better. Having supervised OW students for some time I can say that we all ask the same questions as our experience and interests grow. I dont think every thread needs to necessarily be an on-going discussion. But it sure would be neat for beginners to learn stuff that the rest of us picked up from someone else. And, even those diving for a while change habits or need new techniques for different dives occassionally.

so, I'll be looking for the tip on packing all the snack stuff you all eat into a gear bag. Of course, crushed oreos are good any ol' way...

cheers,

scott

worrying ...

The tips and techniques section IMHO would be very useful to everyone.

I have done 5000+ dives and there is always a new way of doing something. It may work just as well and be useful to someone. Even a crusty old instructor.

I would be willing to contribute to this should the need arise.

The only problem is:

Who's going to compile all the tips and techniques already posted into the new category?

Bags, it's not me. (who you calling lazy?) :)

Hello All,
I might open up a can of worms here, but I think it would be a great idea. This could be a section where divers could actually communicate with each other without having to deal with post after post of technical jargon.;-( I'm not being critical of anyone, but it seems alot of threads here lately turn into a spitting contest as to whose data is correct! Hopefully a Tips and Technique section would be just that, a section where divers can communicate with each other about... diving.:tree:Bob.

If a Tips and Techniques forum is created, the person who has posted a tip in another forum could simply post a link in the new forum. Two recent threads come to mind: "Making your own weights and weight pouches", and "do-it-yourself gauge covers". A contributor to the orginal thread could start a thread called "Weights" or "Weights and Buoyancy" and post a link to the existing weights discussion.

Hey guys and gals!

This is being discussed as we speak. How to break it down, how to move all the tips and tricks posts etc.

Stay tuned, same Bat time, same Bat channel.

ID

Not another forum! How about one for wreck diving? another for shallow reefs? we could use one for walls.....I know I could post in a fossil collecting forum........or one for those who always carry a buddy line........a forum for people who only dive 10 or fewer times per year...........another for those who make 11 - 25........yet another for 26 - 100......... one for those who dive 100+ times per year........can't negelect the CAD's.......... or cold water divers.........we could further segment us by age groups..........or hair color............don't forget eye color.............or we could, dare I say it? stop the silliness and combine forums we already have.

DSSW,

WWW™

When you put it that way Walter, a new forum sounds very Orwellian. At this time, when I'm interested in tips and techniques I look under "basic scuba discussion", and find no difficulty in reading interesting posts. However, if a separate forum were to encourage more posts to this matter; I'm for it.

I think the board is divided enough as it is.

As for the poster not getting any responses when the board was asked for tips, I think the request was too broad. It's like asking someone "What did you learn in college?"

Asking for tips on a specific topics will get you all kinds of answers. Just pick a topic...preventing the danglies, packing a gear bag, etc. alot of these so-called tips have become second nature and we honestly don't think about them.

I think these questions need to stay in the General Scuba section. The only way I can come close to keeping up now is to search for posts since I last visited....and I still miss alot.

Please don't make me have to look in yet another segregated area! ;-0

Back
Top Bottom