Tips and tricks for HERO3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having never shot a GoPro before, I was wondering if people tend to leave the camera on, or turn it off completely, between shooting clips during a dive. Is there an appreciable battery drain for leaving the camera on without capturing anything?

Re keeping it on or off, most of my test dives I just kept it running as in the Hero1 and Hero2 cams battery drain was pretty much the same as whilst recording. I haven't tested battery drain in standby on the hero3 black yet but got used to either recording or turning it off completely avoiding standby as much as possible from past gopro experiance.

The new camera is supposed to have a low power standby mode that kicks in after 5-10 seconds of no use cant remember which it was lol. So this should make it much better in standby and when using the WiFi remote to do some mode tests I found it to be pretty good without draining too quick while not in use.

I have made a few more HD3 black battery runtime tests and here are all the ones I have done so far and will do more as I get some time.

HD3b firmware HD3.03.01.09

No bacpac, wifi off 2.7k30 pt on cam raw video test 1h14m.25s 23.4GB

Batt Bacpac, wifi off 2.7k30 pt on cam raw video test 1h49m.43s 35.9GB

LCD bacpac, wifi off 2.7k30 pt on cam raw video test 0h56m.50s 17.9GB

Batt Bacpac, wifi off 1080p30 narrow, pt off, video+photo @ 5 sec 3h18m.27s 27.8GB + 2,379 photos 867MB

No bacpac, wifi off 1080p30 narrow, pt off, video+photo @ 5 sec 1h56m.32s 23.4GB + 1,377 photos 368MB

LCD bacpac, wifi off 1080p30 narrow, pt off, video+photo @5 sec 1h18m.55s 11.0GB + 944 photos 297MB

Shows 1080p30 uses much less power even when taking photo's at the same time compared to 2.7k30 pt on and cam raw which is a battery hog.

MARTY, Thanks for the pic of the Hero3 setup. now I am really confused. I thought that one could use a Hero3 without attached lights, just install it on your head and dive. Am I wrong? We are novice divers and do not want more diversion underwater. But if we can turn it on and go, then that would be phun.

- Bill

You can use it without lights and it does a good job in clear water. If the water is murky, you'll need to be really close to your subject. If you want to see a good bit of color in your subject then addling lights is a good idea.

---------- Post added November 24th, 2012 at 10:55 PM ----------

My frustration is that I can't seem to GET a Hero 3 Black yet. I am on GoPro's waiting list. They sold out in all of our local stores. They are going on eBay for $100 over MRSP. Guess I'll hurry up and wait.....

MARTY, Thanks for the pic of the Hero3 setup. now I am really confused. I thought that one could use a Hero3 without attached lights, just install it on your head and dive. Am I wrong? We are novice divers and do not want more diversion underwater. But if we can turn it on and go, then that would be phun.

- Bill

Bill, you can use the gopro in many ways, thats just the setup I use most of the time and I only use the lights mostly inside wrecks, caves or for night dives. In natural light I tend to just use the camera and a filter, head mounting is a good option if your wanting your hands completly free or are pretty new to diving so dont want to task load any more then you have to.

You can still get pretty cool results with this approach and if you check my video channels you can see I have done quite a few head mounted videos in the past. I tend to prefer the tray these days but will still use body mounts every now and again too.

Thats really one of the great advantages of the tiny gopro cameras, you can use them as a traditional camera or wear it on you in a way you cant use the traditional cameras. Both will give you pretty good results and for beginners wearing the camera is a great way to shoot some video without needing to worry about the camera.

Having never shot a GoPro before, I was wondering if people tend to leave the camera on, or turn it off completely, between shooting clips during a dive. Is there an appreciable battery drain for leaving the camera on without capturing anything?

I shoot 3D using the 3D hero system and turning the cameras on and off tends to confuse the HD2's when connected by the cable. I'm very curious how well they're going to imlement 3D for the HD3's. The reported battery life times are margional for my use, but would be acceptable if they can be power cycled safely.

head mounting is a good option if you're wanting your hands completely free or are pretty new to diving so don't want to task load any more then you have to..... for beginners, wearing the camera is a great way to shoot some video without needing to worry about the camera.

"Task loading" -- that is the phrase I was looking for. Yeah, as a newish diver I don't want to be any more task loaded that I already am when I dive.

I thought that the Hero3 Black had the head mount with it, is that true or do I have to buy that separately?

You guys are very helpful!

- Bill

There is no scuba specific gopro head mount. You really have a couple of options.
#1 purchase $14 head mount and sew a chin strap to it (otherwise camera will float away)
#2 figure out a way to attach camera to mask (drilling, glue or otherwise).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom