Tips and tricks to having a car, downtown parking, rules of the road, etc...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The same reasoning applies to your diving. Keep your rig as close as possible to what you are used to and only adjust your weights for salt water. You will be much more relaxed.

Well, I'll be renting a car, I want to go everywhere, using a taxi would be astronomical.

1) Parking downtown, where can you park for free? How much is to park on a paid-parking lot?
- It seems like police remove license plates from improperly parked cars...

2) Any rules of the road different from US? What to watch-out for?
- Looks like scooters and taxis are troublesome.
- Downtown streets are one way, must be careful, must mind stop signs.
- Must wear seatbelt.

Anything else?
Lots of differences. Rule #1 tho - no alcohol in the car or in you and driving. None.

The left turn rules are funny, but Driftwood covered those. If you exit the main road to an access road, you do not have the right of way. Actually, avoid thinking you have the right of way anywhere under all circumstances. Drive like you might get hit even in the right, and would go to jail for it - as it's possible. If there is a wreck, get in touch with your rental agent and wait for his insurance adjuster to arrive; do not make your own deals.

Who are you renting from? There is one there who charges for insurance then doesn't provide any! :mad:

When I rented a couple of weeks ago, the agent advised staying away from downtown, but also explained how in that area the intersection may have no stop signs so you must know that streets running N-S always stop, ...or was it E-W? The suggestion for parking at Mega and walking into downtown was a good one.

Fueling a rental car is apparently something of a scam. The rental agent told me up front that after circling the island, the fuel cost should be about $12 to top it off. The agent warned me to make sure they reset the pump before fueling. When I fueled the car, The attendant proudly showed me that the meter was cleared. Then appeared to pump some gas, and asked me to check to see that it was fulll, but the gauge had not moved. So he starts to add more, but I jump out and catch a glimpse that the meter now has a charge of 100 pesos even though no gas was added. At that point there are two attendants arguing with me, they fill the tank, clear the meter and now tell me the cost is.....$12. I had a compact and bet I actually used a lot less. Left quite a bad taste. Be prepared.
Yep, it's Avenues or Streets that always have the right of way without signs, but I forget which. Good to ask. :wink:

Thttp://www.mapchick.com/ These maps have always helped me. Will be using them again in 2 wks. Texasguy will see you at the pier waiting for the DWM boats
Good idea, bad link - see Cozumel Map and Travel Guide

The left turn signal. Multiple meanings depending on the situation. First, if it is an American driving, they may mean they are turning left. Second, if it is a local driver, it may mean it is safe to pass. If you see someone on the right shoulder with a left turn signal on, they may be entering traffic again or they could be turning left.

Topes, these are Mexican speed bumps. They can be either above the road grade or sunk below the road grade. In either case, they need to be respected. Personally, I would come almost to a full stop and "crawl" over them. Topes are designed to greatly reduce traffic speed and they are very effective. Either you "crawl" over them or call a tow truck.

Making a left turn, the local rule is that you pull over to the RIGHT shoulder, turn your signal on and wait for traffic to clear in both directions. edit: Disregard if there is a designated left turn lane

Rocks lined up across the road. The local equivalent of both safety flares/triangles or traffic cones. Generally they mean there is a hazard or restriction ahead. Of course, the hazard/restriction may have been long removed and someone just forgot/didn't bother to remove the rocks.

If you can, rent a car that looks "local". I like the Nissan Tsuru. Tons of them are used as taxis and nothing screams tourist like a Jeep.

Also, be sure to check with your hotel about parking. A lot of hotels have little to no onsite parking.

Finally, I totally agree with getting the Coz map from cancunmap.com-Maps and travel guides.Your information source to Cancun,Cozumel,Isla Mujeres & Riviera Maya
Read that again as it does not make sense, but it is true.

I'll be driving Chevy Aveo. I can't drive a manual. :(
Do did say you are not a native Texan. :cowboy:

If you have to drive, take it slow and perhaps try to avoid busy times of day. DO NOT drink and drive..EVER !

If the people sitting outside the restaurant you are driving by are yelling at you, it's not because they think your jeep is dope.

It's because you are driving the wrong way down a one way street.

Ah, nothing like enjoying a coffee and pastry at Zermatt and listening to the locals yell at the tourists who just picked up a car down the street and turn the wrong way at their first intersection.....

Ah, nothing like enjoying a coffee and pastry at Zermatt and listening to the locals yell at the tourists who just picked up a car down the street and turn the wrong way at their first intersection.....

Dude, this is a tourist place. If locals really-really cared, they would have put up better signs. Yelling is the easiest but less productive.

Dude, this is a tourist place. If locals really-really cared, they would have put up better signs. Yelling is the easiest but less productive.
We have Spanish subtitles on many things in Texas, even English subtitles in Spanish groceries, but there is only one language in Mexico.

Well there are arrows on most every intersection, mostly. You have to slow down to look. (Which ought to be in the traffic calming manual.) The place wouldn't be any fun if it was sprouting ten million signs everywhere and all that. Must be good enough for the locals the way it is. They don't HAVE to do everything OUR way do they?

I think it is nice the locals yell out a little correction to the tourists who didn't really look at the map or listen to the direction they were given before trying to find Carlos and Charlies. They aren't mean about it. (Unlike the correction you would be likely to get in the US driving the wrong way...)

Everything about this thread - indicates that something really bad will happen and will be posted in the post vacation trip report!

What the hell is wrong with you?

Check the car VERY carefully for dings, chips, scratches, etc. Nothing is too small to notice. Make sure they write it down on the form before you leave with the car.

i've given up on free parking downtown. It's not well-marked, hard to find, and not really worth the effort. The pay lots are about 8 pesos/hour, if I recall correctly. In any case, pretty cheap, a lot easier, and more protection from passing cars, motos, etc.

Speaking of motos, watch out for them. They are everywhere and don't tend to follow the same rules as cars.

The north/south streets (avenidas) have the right of way. Even-numbered calles (the east-west streets) are north of the square. Odd-numbered calles are south of the square, so Calle 5 is the next one south after Calle 3

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom