Tips for a trip to the Riviera Maya area in October/November (4 days)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to dive in the cenotes, I would suggest Under the Jungle, its a fairly new cave diving shop near the entrance to the Tajma Ha cenote. They're excellent and for cenote diving it's important to go with qualified and safety-minded guides. UNDER THE JUNGLE

Since you're flying to/from Cancun, it's convenient to just travel to the mainland one day before you would normally leave, do a cenote dive or two, and spend the night on the mainland.

@halocline, thank you for the feedback. I am reading into the Cozumel topics for further info.

Made my decision and going to Cozumel instead of Playa.

Thanks for taking your time to post :)

I think you made a wise decision.

<------- Over on the left is a picture of me diving the reefs of Cozumel. Do I look happy or what?

@northernone, thank you. I booked a hotel in the downtown area of Cozumel. No direct beach access but close to stores and restaurants and a dive operator with good reviews just around the corner (Tres Pelicanos).

Really looking forward to diving there and probably a dive in the cenotes.

Thanks again.

@northernone, thank you. I booked a hotel in the downtown area of Cozumel. No direct beach access but close to stores and restaurants and a dive operator with good reviews just around the corner (Tres Pelicanos).

Really looking forward to diving there and probably a dive in the cenotes.

Thanks again.
Glad to hear it! Looking forward to your experience.

We are going Oct 27 to Nov 2 so we will be there for Halloween, All Saints, and Day of the Dead. We ended up there at the same time by chance last year and I hope to not miss it ever again. Big party, family oriented, and when Coz throws a party the entire island come out. Lots of food, music, and dancing.

Jay, can you give a little more info on Dia de los Muertos celebrations? We're going to be down there from the 30th-5th, and would love to observe, interact, or immerse ourselves into the celebration, as much as is acceptable for gringos. We've always wanted to be there, but usually visit during the summer.

Thanks

Last year there was a large gathering in the square I believe on the 31st and maybe the 1st as well. I can't find any type of formal celebration announced, so maybe it is just understood that Halloween is in the square. Lots of dancing, music, and painted faces. Adults carried candy and walked up to children and gave it to them. It was a wonderful time, seemed very family oriented, and we declared we would be in Cozumel for Halloween from now on. We leave tomorrow and will get in a night shore dive at Aldora Villa tomorrow (Thursday) night.

I grew up in San Angelo, Texas so I'm always happy to have a post dive beer with another Texan at The Thirsty Cougar if your so inclined.

Safe travels,
Jay

Sounds great. I'll send ya a message when we get there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom