Tips for all going to Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I returned thismorning from a live aboard traveling south from Hurgada, Salem Express, Poseidon, some other wrecks and reefs and back in to Hurgada in 7 days.

No problem with Medical paperwork. No problem with bowls until the DM said something about our after meal "medicine."

It seems more rigid and more paperwork than the last few trips but still OK. All the tanks did have CDWS Stickers which was a nice change (Chamber of Diving and Water sports - Red Sea - Egypt) previously I had arrived to empty tanks with the valves off or tanks you would hold upside down to drain the water.

Iso is also catching on... I think Diving is getting a bit safer in Egypt.

Lots of Russians in town for the summer break.

What Liveaboard opertaion did you use?

What Liveaboard opertaion did you use?

divetravel.cz

Google Překladač

Your profile doesn't mention where you live but assuming you are American I would warn you about the cultural difference between US Divers and Europeans.

Um, say that again?

Valves off I think is not uncommon. People build doubles, swap single for double valve and the like on live aboard trips.... and all it takes is for a tank to sit outside a while without a valve on a wet deck and a couple tsp of water to make it inside from a hanging wetsuit. IMHO its a good practice to check strange tanks which live on the ocean for water cont. by tipping them upside down and letting out a little air. Older tanks/cheapo tanks will not have a drain tube installed and a small amount of water can be ejected. a big hint is if when you get a completely empty tank..ie. 0bar. This should start the questions.

Last edited:
assuming you are American I would warn you about the cultural difference between US Divers and Europeans.

I think, in my experience, the main cultural difference in a situation like this would be smoking in a confined environment like a liveaboard -- more and more Americans (particularly) are non-smokers, and as that happens the non-smokers become more and more sensitive to the smoke of others.

Though, again in my experience, the problem is most significant with Western Europeans like the Germans, where relatively more people are still heavy smokers. I've found that East/Central Europeans don't smoke quite as much, surprisingly.

Oh, and the Speedos. :shocked2:

divetravel.cz

Google Překladač

Your profile doesn't mention where you live but assuming you are American I would warn you about the cultural difference between US Divers and Europeans.

Yes I am from the uSA, please expand on the cultural differences. A couple of folks in the group want to know what to expect.

Yes I am from the uSA, please expand on the cultural differences. A couple of folks in the group want to know what to expect.

The smoking is the biggest issue. Smoking during the briefing, smoking between dives, trying to bum smokes from the zodiac driver while waiting for the other divers.

Depth is a bit of a hiccup as well. Your diving with a group agree a depth and all of a sudden people drop away into the deep blue. If you are traveling with buddies this shouldn't be an issue.

I would go so far as to say there is significant different thought on the subject of environmental awareness. I'm diving a reef literally in BFE and I see a plastic cup or bag and I grab it... This seems normal to the American me and weird to everyone on the boat.

Bathing attire and nudity is another point. nude sunbathing is pretty common on the upper decks. IMHO its pretty far out for Muslim Egypt...

and then there is the alcohol...

If there are only a couple of you maybe try Blue02. I had a look at a couple of their boats and they are pretty nice. Everyone will speak perfect English as well :wink: Kinda expensive and the BSAC group can be a bit much when ti comes to safety...

http://www.blueotwo.com/index.cfm

Back
Top Bottom