Tips for all going to Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow.... Thanks for all the info Mania and Marek K ! great report! My daughter is supposed to go to Egypt next summer with her school. This thread makes me feel a little better about letting (my baby 13 yr) go over seas without me...

You're welcome. Keep in mind that our experience (at a 5-star tourist resort) may not be much applicable to your daughter's as part of a school trip.

But the security -- and the hospitality -- will be the same.

If questions come up, don't hesitate to ask. Though I think Mania (across town here in Warsaw) has infinitely more experience with the "real" Egypt.

--Marek

baitedstorm:
wow.... Thanks for all the info Mania and Marek K ! great report! My daughter is supposed to go to Egypt next summer with her school. This thread makes me feel a little better about letting (my baby 13 yr) go over seas without me...

I also applied what we joked as "The Rule of Thirds". By that expect one out of three of anything and everything you order to be wrong or just never show up. We found the rule was consistent across nice restaurants as well as beachside huts.

Just one more thing about the dress code:

It's true, you see women walking around half-naked, especially in Sharm and Hurghada, and people won't "say anything", but that does mean that those women will gain any whatsoever from the locals and it doesn not mean that it is o.k.. You'd be surprised what people actually say and think about that sort of behaviour if you ask them directly.

I think in most parts of Egypt women should definetely wear long pants or skirts and tops that cover the upper arms whenever you actually leave the resort. Clothes shouldn't be too tight-fitting. BTW, men don't usually wear shorts either.

The Red Sea resort towns (Sharm and Dahab) are a bit more liberal and many people working in tourism there are from Alexandria or Cairo, which are probably less conservative in that respect. Hurghada is full of people from upper Egypt working there, so it's quite different.

My tuppence worth from studying Arabic and living in the ME for some years is that you can wear shorts etc as a guy or girl in the tourist areas, beaches etc, but once out of such areas it is better to wear thin lightweight trousers, irrespective of your sex, it's a different culture and one should try and respect such differences, especially if you have any interest whatsoever in exploring this culture.

Salaamu alaykum is Peace be upon you to which one should reply Wa alaykum essalaam and Upon you be peace.

Sabah Al Khayr is good morning

There are 3 Hs in Arabic, a kh as in loch, a normal h as in house and a silent h that can best be approximated through trying to make your sunglass lenses fog up!

Ensure that you pronounce the ubiquitous north African dish cous-cous correctly, as in kus-kus. To say it as kuss-kuss, has a very different meaning altogether!

If you're spending any length of time in Egypt (or indeed any country with Pharoh's / Montezuma's etc revenge) try and avoid those treatments that bung you up immediately, better to take rehydration / electrolyte salts (like diuralite) and eat rice with live yoghurt (laban in Arabic), that way you'll build up natural resistance to such alien bugs!

Thanks a lot for your tips. I was trying to make mine as simple as possible - for most of standard tourists who are not spending there more that 2 weeks. Those who go there more often don't need these tips - they already know most of it.

As the dress code - that's what I meant - tourist areas. It's different outside including museums - anyway all over the world you have to be properly dressed to go to the museum or a church.

BTW - I had problems with my stomach only once - at the very beginning. Vodka did help!!! Now I eat everything and have no problems at all - I'm already immune to their bacterias.
But just in case I still bring a bottle of vodka - and treat it as a medicine only :wink:
Mania

AbuK:
If you're spending any length of time in Egypt (or indeed any country with Pharoh's / Montezuma's etc revenge) try and avoid those treatments that bung you up immediately, better to take rehydration / electrolyte salts (like diuralite) and eat rice with live yoghurt (laban in Arabic), that way you'll build up natural resistance to such alien bugs!

Hi Bard--

Live yoghurt/laban... Is that why the Egyptian pharmacy at first gave me capsules with lactobacillus acidophilus in them? How does that help in the long run?

On the other hand, my immediate goal was to get over this fast, and be able to dive or just sit by the pool again. Hence the Imodium. It not only "bunged me up" (what a great expression!!), but also immediately stopped the cramping/stomach ache. Didn't quite put me on my feet right away, but made me a lot more comfortable!!

--Marek

Hi,

I am Egyptian commenting on the dress code for females, All accross the redsea just put on ANYTHING no problemo @ all, But when going other cities like cairo,alex .. recomand long pants and long sleeves, I would also recomand shades ( its not a problem but some men in local places missunderstand eye contacts). AND if going to any mosques you must have long non tight cloths ....

Enjoy ur trip and if u need any question just pop it up

Happy new year

But redsea

Being a European woman I have been travelling alone in Egypt many times. Outside tourist area I will always dress in non revealing clothes. I found that when you show that you are willing to take their social conventions into consideration they will appreciate it and respect you for it, even if it is not exactly the clothing they wear.

What strikes me as very different in Arab countries compared with Latin countries: in Arab countries the men do not display any macho behaviour. If you want to be left alone as a woman you will be, and that can be very relaxing:wink:

In tourist area's in Egypt it is a bit harder to be left in peace. But there it is not macho behaviour, but they want to sell you something.
It's a pity is that nowadays this whole business of selling to tourists becomes more and more of a nuisance. It used to be friendly and fun, but now it has turned into a massive attack of men all asking you "are you married? No? This is my lucky day".:l:

But apart from that I find that Egyptians can be very helpful, and have a good sense of humour.

I'd like to thank Mania for his tips on traveling to Egypt. I was leary about going there because of my nationality but he gave me a good report and I will be headed there in June. Thanks Tom

Back
Top Bottom