tips for finding dive buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zen,
I'm in Northern Virginia and just got certified. I have a couple of friends who have been certified for a few years but only have a couple dives apiece. If you're in this area, feel free to PM me and let me know when you want to dive. I have a busy schedule but I'd really like to include a local dive or two a month, if I can work it out and find someone to dive with here.

I see you're here in Virginia. I'm thinking of heading to Rawlings this Monday. Care to join me? No worries with the experience thing, seriously. If you can make it you are more than welcome.

It isn't easy to find dive buddies. So some of the things that I do is:
• Every time I go out (class, dive, club meeting or whatever) I get the other diver's contact information. If it is a dive, I write it in the logbook (for some reason people will tell you everything if it is for a logbook).
• Follow up every dive with an e-mail thanks to the dive buddy; it keeps the conversation going--they will remember you.
• Join a club that has regular dives & participate!
• Offer to help instructors at their classes. (This does not necessarily mean in-water assistance, it can mean bringing snacks or taking pictures of the students when they are setting up their equipment.) Why? Because those students will be looking for buddies & you can get their contact information.
• Work on making sure that your skills at your level are solid. (I don't expect a new diver to have the skills of a seasoned pro, but I do expect the new diver to be improving). As an instructor, if someone is looking for a buddy, I won't feel guilty recommending you.
• Ask instructors that know and trust you to pass on your email if someone is looking for a buddy. (This is why I have a gmail account just for this.)
• Understand that it is a numbers game. You need to ask a lot of people to get a buddy. I just invited 60 people (most with less than 20 dives) to dive with me in a pristine park. 3 accepted--one was my divemaster. It isn't personal, they have lives beyond diving, but for the life of me, I can't imagine what it could be. :D
• Does your LDS have a "buddy board" or a Facebook page to find a buddy? Would you be willing to set it up for them?

Best of luck. I know it isn't easy, but it is worthwhile.

I live just west of richmond va,not sure how far that is from mt storm.Just to let you guys know, no one has ever refused to dive with me but i would like to dive very often and a lot of poeple i know only dive during classes or 1 or 2 times over a couple of months time. Just would like to meet some poeple that want to dive all year round and as often as i do. Good cookout and a few cold ones always available for good friends.

Last edited:
Hey thanks so much for the offer but weekdays are very hard to do for me but maybe we could get together on some weekend at rawlings if your free .I usually camp every other saturday and sunday but can dive most weekends.

vince

Last edited:
I found a section on sb that i did not know was there until you guys clued me in.posted over there and hopefully i will get some response from divers in my area. i just wanted to thank all of you for all the helpful advice.

Vince

Be careful Aquaman. You may become a surrogate Aussie. Australian Crawl. Excellent beach surf and chicks band late seventies through the eighties. Lead singer James Reyne.
Hey Man Herk are you having a change of heart or am I getting softer.

Last edited:
I've found finding scuba buddies even more stressful than finding dates. I *know* my potential buddies are better than me and have been with people significantly better than me, and I *know* that I'm not going to last nearly as long as they would like me to.
Your sarcasm has made me re-evaluate my thinking. Never imagined legions of experienced divers champing at the bit to help me. Got to go now, there's a unruly mob pounding on my door....they all want to be the 1st to be my dive buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom