Tips for the 10 minute treading portion of OW certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But you're right that doesn't look like much effort. I'm probably way overthinking this now and just psyching myself out.

Figuring it out during the test is not going to help with psyching out. Get in a pool and try it before the test.

Figuring it out during the test is not going to help with psyching out. Get in a pool and try it before the test.
I don't really have the luxury of just being able to go to a pool and do that. We're a member of a pool now but when I go during the week it's with my son who is a toddler and I can't just leave him while I try it out.

Oh and if I get my medical waiver signed tomorrow I'm hoping that I can take the class this weekend if there is still room available. So not much time lol.

I don't really have the luxury of just being able to go to a pool and do that. We're a member of a pool now but when I go during the week it's with my son who is a toddler and I can't just leave him while I try it out.

Oh and if I get my medical waiver signed tomorrow I'm hoping that I can take the class this weekend if there is still room available. So not much time lol.

Well then you know what they say: relax and try to enjoy it.

How times have changed! When I got certified our 10 minutes had to be done with our arms and shoulders out of the water (1977). It was tough

I’ll bet the “arching your back, way back” mentioned early in this thread will be all you need, mixed with sporadic kicking/sculling.

How times have changed! When I got certified our 10 minutes had to be done with our arms and shoulders out of the water (1977). It was tough
Yea! Well, we had to stand on the water back in 1979!

Just relax...don’t think 10 minutes....think 2minutes and concentrate on right arm....think 2 more, concentrate on other arm....then left leg, right leg...before you know it 10 min is done...you have this!

Your instructor was correct in saying the rule is simply don’t drown for 10 minutes. There is no rule requiring you to tread water.
Yes. I have been away for 8 weeks so apologize if it's been covered in detail, but....PADI allows "drown-proofing" (at least they did in 2011 for the DM 15 min. float/tread/whatever with hands out of water last 2 minutes). That's how I scored a perfect "5". You take a big breath (as someone described early on here) and just let your lung air "float you". Your head can slip below the surface as long as you don't touch the bottom (you won't go more than inches below the surface). Pop up and take another breath, etc..... no work at all. No "eggbeater" or other stuff. Take the EASY way out and build up muscles for stuff you'll really need for scuba. Unless rules have changed since 2011.

Ha! When I learned to dive in the mid-60s, we could walk on the water. At least we thought so!

Ha! When I learned to dive in the mid-60s, we could walk on the water.

In the snow, uphill and against the wind. Both ways.

I used to swim in an open-air olympic size pool back when. Swimming in heavy snowfall is cool. In fog, too. (Heating that thing must've been a biatch. Good thing they didn't count "public" money back in the USSR.)

Ha! When I learned to dive in the mid-60s, we could walk on the water. At least we thought so!
I don't know if you thought you could walk on water then, but it seems to me that the veterans of that era who post on ScubaBoard believe that was one of the standards then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom