Tips on doing PADI DM Mapping Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simply put the DM Mapping Project should include all information that a reasonably experienced pair of divers would need to safely make a dive at the location you have selected. A good idea is to include all of the information for a proper dive site briefing..(can be found on your DM slates). The Map is but one part of the Project.. the dive site chosen should be one that you are NOT familiar with.. learn a new dive site, more options for Discover Local Diving.

Everyone has missed THE most important aspect to the mapping exercise:

HAVE FUN!!!

This will make it go quicker, be more accurate and WAY more relevant. It really goes back to the roots of why you started diving in the first place. Without it, it's just a meaningless task. Everything involved in the process (including the final product) should heavily reflect this aspect.

Perfect example of a good mapping project...

The dive site we do Open Water certs has 3 platforms to tie a surface marker to. We have always been using platforms number 2 and my instructor knew exactly where it was. Last time I was there someone had grabbed platform number 2 (they are first come, first serve). So we had to find platform number 1. Took us 20 minutes because we had NO clue where it was. Viz was 5 feet so we had to do a search on the bottom. The moment we marked it, I measured the angle from various permanent fixture on the shore line to the platform then I measured the fin kicks from each point on shore. This was something everyone could use next time we were at the dive site.

For another site, we used to do a treasure hunt. It had all kinds of sunk objects (shopping cart, car, bus, airplane, boat, etc.) and we'd tie balloons to the objects. You had to collect a balloon of each colour. When we went to retrieve the balloons the students didn't find, we found having a map of the objects was really helpful. We basically mapped the site out as we deployed the balloons.

All maps are one page. I'd hand sketch it on site then clean it up and print it out on a computer. This way you can give your dive shop the computer file for the map. I have been to some places that just had a printed copy and they were photocopying it. They lost the original so they were photocopying a photocopy. Not very readable.

If other DMs have done other sites ask your instructor which is a good one and why. Its not a test of your artistic skills rather how well you navigated the site, added the right info, mapped a suitable dive plan etc. Also ask him which is the worst!

Practically if possible its best to snorkel it first as thats the best way to get a decent overall view.

Once its done, see if a DM or another experienced DMT would mind following your map to see if they can dive it.

If its a shallow site with suitable vis, snorkel it a few times as well. Get the shoreline off google earth if high enough resolution!

What area are you planning to map for your DM project?

For my DM project (a while ago) I took the instructor for a virtual tour of the Avalon underwater park in Catalina with our simulator :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Interesting discussion, I am as well about to do the same in a couple of days i have once visited the site which i chose to do the maping, it is a wrick that sanck 20 years ago. Is there any sugestions on which i should focus more? I already know the dept but not too sure about inside out features. Please advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom