Tips on Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChillyWaters:
Hmmm... excuse me, but I still come from the train of thought that a tip is earned, regardless of profession. It shouldn't be expected.

However, on the topic of diving, I have a few questions:
Are there regions that expect tipping for DMs? I say this as another Canadian noted that it wasn't expected up here. Perhaps some areas actually pay their DMs -- which makes sense, IMHO.

If a DM is so damned good, why isn't he being paid, with that cost then put to the consumer in the dive fee?

- ChillyWaters
As I said in one of my other posts, I don't just tip because it is expected but I will tell them why I'm not, because of bad service. One of the reasons that they are not paid is the same reason there are "resort courses". To try and keep the costs down to lure more folks into diving.

Diver Dennis:
It seems you are trying very hard to justify tipping NO ONE.

No, just trying to point out hypocrisy. BTW, you didn't answer the questions... :D

mccabejc:
No, just trying to point out hypocrisy. BTW, you didn't answer the questions... :D

You're right, no I don't. But then again the stock girl at Wal-Mart dosen't hump my tanks and gear or spend a couple of hours showing me where the toilet paper is...

Dennis, I could bring up the garbage guy who humps your garbage 52 times a year, or or a whole list of other folks who don't get tips, but I think the point is made.

By the way, I vote Mike Ferrara as Scubaboard's #1 best poster. There ought to be an award or something. The guy is brilliant.

Mike, where do I send your tip? :D

My garbage guys get a bottle at Christmas from me. I'll always tip but that dosen't mean anyone else has to. The real point here is that tippers make non-tippers look bad.

mccabejc:
Do you folks tip EVERY low income person who performs a good or decent service for you? How about the single mom serving you from behind the counter at McDonalds, who is getting minimum wage and is trying to support two kids? What about the cook in the restaurant who actually cooks your food, not just delivers it, and never gets any thanks from anyone? Do you go into the kitchen before you leave to give him a tip? What about the kid working at Wal Mart stocking shelves, who is trying to pay for school? Do you tip her 50 cents when she helps you find the toilet bowl cleaner in aisle 6?

You and mike have both made excellent points. I tip a little just because it is expected in our society to certain individuals performing certain tasks. I have never had a job that expected people to tip me. I think that there are way Sh**y jobs out there besides being a waiter or a DM that do not expect tips. I work in a pretty hard profession to get into. I am a pilot and started out giving flight instruction. There were weeks when i made 100-150 bucks. This really sucks considering that I just spent about 35,000 on an education to aquire the nessary skills. I do not remember recieving a tip for giving good instruction.

Diver Dennis:
The real point here is that tippers make non-tippers look bad.

Ahh....I think Dennis has nailed it !! It comes down to good ol' peer pressure. Bending to others' expectations. The kid at McDonald's doesn't give you a nasty look if you don't tip, so you don't feel guilty, therefore no need to tip. Neither does the garbage man. But the waitress and the DM, who expect it, sure do.

Like I've always said, it shouldn't be called a TIP ("To Insure Promptness"), it should be called a TPG ("To Prevent Guilt"). :D

This is the way I see it....

If a dive trip costs $100 and the DM gets $25 of my money, I expect great service, and I get pissed if I don't get what I paid for.

If a dive trip costs $60 and the DM gets $5 of my money, then if I get ****** service I got what I paid for.

If a dive trip costs $60 and I got great service then I got more then I paid for and then I will tip the crew.

I usually tip $10 for 2 tanks and $20 for 3. When I do a vacation and the DMs load and unload and rinse my gear every day for me, I tip more.

I have had dives where I have left no tip, but that was for lousy service all around.

I see every dive as 10 - 20 dollars more then the posted price and I only have to pay the balance if I'm happy.

By the way, I'm very low maintenance. I bring my own tool kit and can deal with almost any problem on my own without any DM help.

TT :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom