Tips on Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I expect is to take me to the dive site, let me off, and take me back to the dock. This is what I am assuming I paid for at the dive shop. I do not expect the DM or any other staff to carry my tanks, clean my equipment, or wipe my *****. Like someone said earlier it is a taxi service. Say if you have a boat with 8 people. It costs about 100 bucks. That is 800 bucks. Where does that money go. I know that boat maintance and fuel has to be covered but were does the rest go? Maybe to the owner of the boat or dive shop?

mccabejc:
Ahh....I think Dennis has nailed it !! It comes down to good ol' peer pressure. Bending to others' expectations. The kid at McDonald's doesn't give you a nasty look if you don't tip, so you don't feel guilty, therefore no need to tip. Neither does the garbage man. But the waitress and the DM, who expect it, sure do.

Like I've always said, it shouldn't be called a TIP ("To Insure Promptness"), it should be called a TPG ("To Prevent Guilt"). :D

I like the TPG but if I don't tip I tell them why. That way I don't get any nasty looks. My garbage man dosen't expect it but you should have seen their faces the first time I did it. They said it was great someone actually cared about what they did. If something is not right I complain, so for me at least the real hipocracy would be if I didn't reward great service.

Yup, and I tip on dive boats.

I'm among the chronically seasick, so while I'm fine in the water, I've had dive boat crews quite literally dress me and help me in when I was too weak to lift my tank. On the lobster trip I took in the Channels, the crew was absolutely wonderful, showed me how to clean my scallop, and just did an all around good job. I tipped because I felt like, in both cases, they went above and beyond.

av8er23:
All I expect is to take me to the dive site, let me off, and take me back to the dock. This is what I am assuming I paid for at the dive shop. I do not expect the DM or any other staff to carry my tanks, clean my equipment, or wipe my *****. Like someone said earlier it is a taxi service. Say if you have a boat with 8 people. It costs about 100 bucks. That is 800 bucks. Where does that money go. I know that boat maintance and fuel has to be covered but were does the rest go? Maybe to the owner of the boat or dive shop?
I assuming the cost of the actual boat, the cost of the slip convenient to the reefs, insurance, etc.

I'm not saying its right, but that DM probably isn't getting paid by the dive op. Maybe since its just a water taxi you'll volunteer to do a couple of extra bounce dives to tie off to the wreck, etc.? Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Wow. I posted this expecting to maybe get a better feel for what is customary and now I 'm more confused than ever! LOL...it's entertaining though.
FWIW, I've worked in the service business my entire career (going on 30 years) but not in a job where tipping is a part of my income. A customer showing appreciation for good service though is the ultimate reward for a true 'service person'. It probably does as much as any training you can give in shaping behavior in a service employee.
BKB

Diver Dennis:
I agree wholeheartedly filauri. I do most of my diving in Mexico and ALWAYS tip because I know low wages are the main reason diving so so inexpensive there. Frankly mccabejc, in my opinion you have a very poor attitude.

It depends on where you're from and where you are. Americans tip. Europeans and Asians don't. In Mexico it's customary for Americans to tip 10% or per tanks....in the Philippines I got tipped maybe twice. No one got tips but our customers were Taiwanese, Hong Kong....European...different.

I've made my tips on the way INTO an event or restaraunt. When I do this, I have never received bad service.
People will perform amazingly for you when they know you already appreciate them.

It also helps get you in the door faster at some trendy places.....:)

There are trendy places in Ohio? :wink:

vladimir:
There are trendy places in Ohio?
I was wondering the same thing. :06:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom