Tired of Diving? Are you still in love with the sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy:
You must have a rash or something by now. That's an insane amount of diving!!! Do you ever slow down, or do you have a regular schedule for diving? Give us an idea of what a typical dive week is like. I just can't fathom what it's like to dive this much. Do you ever try to climb stairs by taking a big breath, or exhale in an elevator so that you don't ascend too quickly? I really want to know. I get about 75 dives per year, and I thought that I dove a lot. More power to you! do you keep track of total bottom time?
WOW, that's like 20 dives a month. Very impressive. The thing that would stop me after all those dives in such a short time is putting all that gear on, then off, fills, lugging the gear to your car, 1300 times, ugh.

I think maintaining interest is all about what you expect and want from diving. My wife and I certified together. For me, first it is about having a hobby with her that was ours together. Second, it is about going and seeing new things and exploring. With a basic cert, I would probably grow tired of the second reason after many dives. I'm working on expending skills and environments to keep my second reason as strong as the first.

If diving grows old, consider varying experiences before throwing in the towel. Cold water, ice, tropical, fresh water, salt, rivers, mountain lakes or mud pits - all have something a little different. Don't let it grow old because of not trying more than one option.

Old divers never die, they simply:

1. don't have enough strength to suck a reg.
2. find a wetsuit tight enough to smooth all those wrinkles.
3. look forward to getting narced (since they can't drink anymore).
4. want a bubble to form since nothing else gets blown up ... :D
Add your own here.

I was scared to death while a newbie. I am finally comfortable in the water after 50 or so dives. Now I finally feel a yearning to dive, not a dread. Also, most of my diving is freshwater so I am looking forward to more reefs. It keeps getting better!

I'm still getting a kick out of it and hope I always will. I'll be getting into doing some photography and can only guess that it will make me love diving even more.

I guess I was in a diving slump recently. After OW, I took AOW, then collected a plethora of patches and c-cards, and racked up a bunch of dives in the quarries and lakes. Naturally, all those c-cards led me towards tech diving- doubles, deco dives, stages. However, after a while, things got stale diving with other divers- I felt like I was just leading them around on tours and would rather not have to babysit divers who should be AOW or better, but never realized that they were ready/good enough (newbies are usually welcome to come along). I still enjoy diving, but I don't feel the need to dive every weekend.

I've shifted gears, and I've been diving with handicapped people lately and it's tons of fun and a great learning experience. Check out HSA , IAHD , and diveheart. It's a lot like technical diving in terms of the buddy awareness, task loading, bouyancy control, etc.

So, I've renewed my ethusiasm for diving by adding in something new, rather than doing the same dives over and over again. I recommend handicapped diving to everyone. It's great fun, and I'm get to dive with people who are as enthusiastic about diving as I am.

Philipe Costeau told a story at an Underwater Film Festival about taking his Dad, Jacques, to dive in a heavy current spot off New Zealand. When they got back to the boat he was afraid that his Dad, who had struggled in the current, would give up diving. Instead, Jacques, who was around 90, said " I've got to design some dive gear to make this eaiser." You will never see everything there is in the ocean, every dive is a new experience. Even when doing lobster dive number 200+ in 5 feet of visibility, I still stop to watch some little fish watching me from a hole in the reef.

Still love it.
Though sometimes I get a little burned out from chlorine diving if I don't hit the ocean enough.
I'm getting over a cold right now & every second thought is "ooo I should call so&so to go for a dive.... oh wait... darn... maybe next week."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom