Tired of the damned like/tweet/share, etc., pop ups!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to CP and permission groups on my computer, but did not see a "No social bookmarks" group. What am I missing here? I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that does not want my computer's ability to load SB pages quickly slowed down by all the social media link icon loadings.

Went to CP and permission groups on my computer, but did not see a "No social bookmarks" group. What am I missing here? I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that does not want my computer's ability to load SB pages quickly slowed down by all the social media link icon loadings.
I used my browser's Find function: CTRL F: No social

I don't see it today tho...? :confused:

It's gone. I joined last night and it is gone from my groups now. However, I don't see the buttons still.

Sounds like more work in progress. We'll see...

This site is still so tedious to use I could barely read and reply to this thread. And as I have said since the changeover, the rest of the internet is fine!!! :(

That's not surprising. The pages are embarrassingly huge with an incredible number of scripts and external dependencies. The stats below are actually better than it actually is, because they only include the time to download scrips and not the time required to evaluate and run them.

It's a 6 minute load time per-page on a dial-up modem or average 3g cellular connection.

flots.

http://analyze.websiteoptimization.com/wso

Web Page Speed Report

URL:http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-divers-those-considering-diving/425357-terrible-first-dive-after-ow-2.html
Title:Terrible first dive after OW - Page 2
Date:Report run on Sat Jun 30 21:41:26EDT2012
Diagnosis

Global Statistics

Total HTTP Requests:138
Total Size:771812 bytes
Object Size Totals

Object typeSize (bytes)Download @ 56K (seconds)Download @ T1 (seconds)
HTML:9636219.400.71
HTML Images:262158 58.65 7.79
CSS Images:93469 33.63 15.50
Total Images:35562792.2823.29
Javascript:22802149.044.81
CSS:9180220.702.89
Multimedia:00.000.00
Other:00.000.00
External Objects

External ObjectQTY
Total HTML:1
Total HTML Images:32
Total CSS Images:75
Total Images:107
Total Scripts:18
Total CSS imports:12
Total Frames:0
Total Iframes:0
Download Times*

Connection RateDownload Time
14.4K625.79 seconds
28.8K326.70 seconds
33.6K283.97 seconds
56K181.42 seconds
ISDN 128K74.71 seconds
T1 1.44Mbps31.69 seconds

Funny... Alexa ranks us in the to 92nd percentile of fastest websites.

Since the "Changeover" which was over a year ago... Our daily traffic has increased by over 10,000 visitors (that's VISITORS, not clicks or hits or some other weak metric) a day. Our internet ranking has moved us into the 20,000's for most popular websites in the world, and around 8,000th for the USA. This is exponential growth considering before the "changeover" our rankings were in the 40,000's. SB is the busiest Scuba Diving related website in the world.

The other funny thing is... I shut off the social bookmark links last week on Tuesday.

Funny... Alexa ranks us in the to 92nd percentile of fastest websites.

I don't have a dog in this fight and don't really care where Alexa ranks SB, since I browse on a fast connection and filter out the slow or annoying parts.

The above results were obtained from a test run just before I made the post. You can take them for what they're worth, or not, and/or re-run them yourself.

flots.

There's no fight...

SB is simply not going to survive without banner advertising... They will never go away.

As for the so undesirable social media bookmark links...

I removed the social media links from the top of page, because they called for counts (number of likes, etc) from the other sites, which caused page loading issues. I believe that regardless of what a small handful of people complain about; ScubaBoard is the fastest its ever been right now, and everything I see (statistically) supports that supposition.

I started this thread, and would like to thank SB for disabling the likes/tweets, etc., that caused me to intiially post a request for techniques to disable them because they were locking up my computer until they loaded. At no time was I complaining about the banner and pop-up ads because I know they are necessary for the survival of the site, I do click on them if I have an interest, and most important, they were not locking my computer. Do they slow down the page loading a bit? Probably so, but not so much that I would notice, much less complain about them. Thanks again to SB for being responsive to a problem and complaint.

There's no fight...

SB is simply not going to survive without banner advertising... They will never go away.

As for the so undesirable social media bookmark links...

I removed the social media links from the top of page, because they called for counts (number of likes, etc) from the other sites, which caused page loading issues. I believe that regardless of what a small handful of people complain about; ScubaBoard is the fastest its ever been right now, and everything I see (statistically) supports that supposition.

Sounds like a good solution so folks won't be driven to using something like AdBlock Plus to hide features they have no interest in. Keeps up the ad revenue and makes the users happy. :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom