to all the owners of mares icon hd, or those who thought about buying it,i got Qs plz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm getting a replacement Icon sent from Scubatoys. The Icon while consuming more power than the OLED ones, has an important advantage. The display is like a computer so with software can be completely controlled, unlike the LEDs which I understand are hard wired. For example the compass can be scaled or moved to any part of the screen with firmware, which I don't think is the case with computers like the Cobalt.

Adam

I'm getting a replacement Icon sent from Scubatoys. The Icon while consuming more power than the OLED ones, has an important advantage. The display is like a computer so with software can be completely controlled, unlike the LEDs which I understand are hard wired. For example the compass can be scaled or moved to any part of the screen with firmware, which I don't think is the case with computers like the Cobalt.

Adam

Adam,
I'm not sure I quite understand what someone was telling you, but the only practical differences between the AMOLED screen in the Cobalt and a TFT screen like the Icon are that the AMOLED consumes much less power and is brighter, with more contrast, and does not need a backlight. And is more expensive. Both are pixel based graphic displays, and on the Cobalt we can move the compass to wherever- in fact, the compass, depth etc. all shift around whenever the compass is turned on- and of course in alternate screens there are menus, etc. We could show movies, for that matter- and before anyone asks, we have no plans to do so. :D

It sounds as if someone was confusing OLED with segment based displays (most dive computers are segment based LCD screens- think Oceanic, or calculators/ digital watches) that can only turn on and off fixed graphic elements. Segment based OLED displays exist and are on a number of consumer products. They are very bright, but not graphic capable. Of course, all digital displays at root work by turning graphic elements on and off- including your computer monitor- but when there are enough pixels, in colors, and they are controlled by software, you can do more with them.

Ron

Is Mares about to release a new model? I see Scubatoys has a huge sale on the Icon.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Is Mares about to release a new model? I see Scubatoys has a huge sale on the Icon.

I just got a replacement Icon HD Net Ready from Scubatoys (kudos to them) and the new computer connects flawlessly. So the problem was with the previous computer.

Mares has just released the Net Ready air integrated version to the US market. I think the ones you're seeing at a large discount are the older models without the air integration. I believe some of these are upgradable for a fee and some are not.

Adam

Looks like Scubatoys (and by the way Leisure Pro) is unloading the old icons that were returned when the original owner upgraded to AI. Since I have AI on my 2 other computers, I didn't need that, so I jumped on one of them that can never be upgraded. I really like the display, and if I ever decide to upgrade to AI, Scubatoys will let you return the one you have that can not be upgraded for a full credit. I didn't need another computer, but I needed a better display so I couldn't pass it up.

Looks like Scubatoys (and by the way Leisure Pro) is unloading the old icons that were returned when the original owner upgraded to AI. Since I have AI on my 2 other computers, I didn't need that, so I jumped on one of them that can never be upgraded. I really like the display, and if I ever decide to upgrade to AI, Scubatoys will let you return the one you have that can not be upgraded for a full credit. I didn't need another computer, but I needed a better display so I couldn't pass it up.

The display is what attracts me as I like night diving, and I had trouble reading my Vyper when shining a dive light on it. I predict that the black and white reflective displays will disappear from dive computers.

... just got one.. the Luna is the easiest to use dive computer I've tried.... no gimmicks, just a fantastic, useable, industrial-grade piece of equipment..... and the only truly useful digital compass I've ever encountered.... looked at the Mares HD, but preferred the Scubapro

hey Adam, glad your new computer works flawlessly =) thats good news!!.. u know, one of my dive master friends looked at it and was like "why didn't you buy the suunto d9 with all that money" im like i hate that small screen, then he's like let me check if it allows 99% nitrox , and it went only to 50% then he's like "hah!, it doesnt allow that" , then im like, i dont need 99% since im only gonna use 32% most of the time, and maybe 36% , my nemo mares sport watch has 99% but who cares about that.

so pcheney, its all about your preference , what you like, what you feel comfty with , i rarely use the compass but oh well, i did try the mare's one few times i didn't see any problems with it. so far im happy with the product =)

and just like adam said, i think colored computers will replace the old ones, just like the old phones, who still uses old phone with no colors these days? >.> ... i just wish some smart ass person would come up with computers with GPS lol, then no compass would be needed , that would be amazing, for now, let us all be dreaming about it coming to life.

but adam, let us know what you think? any flaws? are you happy with it so far?

I have an Icon HD and guess what, I'm selling it.
Why: Sick of recharging it every 5/6 dives, has bugs such has displaying from time to time a wrong battery charge level, Mares updates it like once in a blue moon.
The display of the deco time when you are still on the bottom is just too small, that's a shame for such a big screen.

Attachments

• 120411_132942_PEEL_hXxErf.jpg
    120411_132942_PEEL_hXxErf.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom