to din or not to din

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

batman diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i want to convert my mk25 to din , the reason , the rotating head works better and din is easier i think , less o ring trouble .... what do you guys think ? also does anyone have the official documents telling how to convert it ? once you buy the kit thanks

It is easy to convert. I used the same kit on the MK11. I prefer the DIN for the captured o-ring and more solid connection. I do carry a DIN-Yoke adapter for those situations when the dive shop only has yoke tanks available. I also carry the right hex wrench to remove plugs from Pro Valves.

When using the yoke adapter, it does put the regulator further out from the tank, but I didn't notice any problems on my recent trip when I had to use it a couple times.

You can find manuals and schematics for ScubaPro regs here - http://frogkick.dk/manuals/scubapro/Manuals/. The biggest challenge is making sure you apply the proper amount of torque when tightening things.

Covert, you will not look back!

If you convert, make sure you get the 300bar DIN.

You'll need a 1" socket and torque wrench to do the conversion - these can be hard to source. A mistake can damage the 1st stage. Especially the threads, which are dissimular hardness metals. If you have any doubts, let a SP service tech do the actual conversion.

Do you own the tanks that you use for diving? If so, what kind of tanks (steel/AL, service pressure) are they?
If you rent tanks, what is the tank valve configuration (DIN or yoke) of the rented tanks?

If you have yoke tanks, or you rent tanks that are yoke only, don't bother. If you have 200bar dins or access to 200bar dins, then convert, but keep a Yoke adapter and the wrenches with you at all times. They stay in my save a dive kit.
Torque wrenches are a pain to deal with, and is a big argument area amongst divers. We can "rent" them for free from a couple different auto shops though

All my regs and tanks are DIN. I've never regretted doing the conversion.

all the tanks i rent are din with an insert in them , but some times they forget to put an insert in... problem , i have a torque wrench hope it ok :)

i want to convert my mk25 to din , the reason , the rotating head works better and din is easier i think , less o ring trouble .... what do you guys think ? also does anyone have the official documents telling how to convert it ? once you buy the kit thanks

What do you mean, "the rotating head works better"?

It is true that DIN connections are theoretically more reliable, and they're definitely less of an entanglement hazard, but unless you're having problems with the yoke or specifically looking to use the reg with DIN tanks, it's not worth changing. Using a DIN to yoke adapter puts the reg ALOT closer to your head, on my set up that would be unacceptable, and then you have a connection that's less reliable than either yoke or DIN.

But, if you are set to so it, the SP DIN kit is probably around $60 these days and you need a torque wrench and a 6MM (I think) allen wrench socket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom