To integrate or not to integrate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gassed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey all,
After 11 years and over 2000 dives I am upgrading computers.
Part of the reason is finally making a jump to Nitrox. The science was rather new when i bought my last Suunto and I was doing a lot of deeper dives then so I never bothered. Now I find I am hitting deco way to early on 4 and 5th dives. That and at 11 years i figure I am pushing my luck with the good old puck.
In my early searches everything is based on watches and wireless. I personally have no issue with a hose and console. Even more so when boat mates complain about signal issues.
At the moment I am looking at the cobra3 and looking for someone to talk me out of it.
Am I out of my mind by forgoing wireless? Has it become more consistent.
Any known problems with the Cobra3?
Any reasons to fear AI in general?
Other options to consider?
My primary diving is warm-temperate. 4-6 dives a day. Mostly photo work.
Thoughts? Opinions?

not out of your mind by forgoing wireless. It's snazzy, but all the computers that have it are ridiculously expensive and lacking in some key features. It has become much more reliable though, but with last years massive computer shake up in the industry, I would wait until at least DEMA this year before you buy anything. For quick reference, Scubapro bought Seabear, Aqualung stopped distributing Suunto and bought PPS from AUP *Hollis/Oceanic/Aeris*, and Huish *Atomic/Zeagle* is now distributing Suunto. Scubapro has some snazzy stuff in the pipelines from Seabear and I'd be really hesitant to buy anything if you're considering air integration before DEMA whether wired or not.

I am unaware of any problems with the Cobra3

No reasons to fear AI

I personally would buy a Shearwater Perdix or Deepblu Cosmiq, and a pressure gauge, or wait until DEMA to see what everyone has been up to for the last year since they played musical chairs and will want something to try to one up everyone else

I like AI for 3 reasons.

1.) I use a computer to log my dives on a desktop computer & my iPhone (via Mac Dive), and it automatically logs start & end pressures.

2.) It automatically generates a SAC, so I can get a sense of how my gas consumption was on that dive, and how it compares to both similar & different dives.

3.) It gives me as estimated gas time remaining, assuming I remain at the current depth & gas consumption rate (neither of which is true, but it gives me something to work with, especially if I'm getting shallower or at least not much deeper over the course of the dive).

Different strokes, different folks. I value all 3 & they're be near meaningless to some divers. A.I. computers tend to cost a bit more up front.

As to other options in A.I. console dive computers, the ProPlus3, the Cobalt 2, I don't know what all else.

Richard.

+1 on everything Richard said, which is why I went with a Suunto EON Steel wrist computer with AI. I use a breathable inflator, so no octo and no console. You should see how small my reg setup is: 2nd stage, inflator hose, transmitter pod, and button SPG for backup. It's tiny. I can fit my mask in the reg bag.

To add, the Suunto records air pressure at every data point interval, not just the start/end. On a console unit, it's a no brainer IMHO.

First time that I agree with @tbone1004 and find his information balanced EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (good thing I am sitting down)

I agree with what Richard 100%. I have been using Suunto computers since early 90's and using their AI for at least 15 years and their "hoseless" AI for at least 10 years, no issues. So Hoseless AI is the way to go. If you aren't in a rush, I'd go with what Tbone recommended (first time I say this EVER) and wait for this coming DEMA to see what is coming out from Scubapro, Ratio-Computers and possibly AquaLung. What the Hoseless AI computers that Scubapro has now are top notch and reliable since they have been in the market for a very long time. I am using Suunto's Vyper Air and D9 (both AI and hoseless) and Cobra (AI but with hose) for backup (the original Cobra). I have used SP also and others btw.

When AI first came out I thought it was a waste of money, nothing has changed. I dive with a 19yrs old computer + a cheap back up(Veo 180) + spg and more than happy with that. I am waiting for the arrival of the new Deep Six Fathom computer(US$139.00) because my ageing Aladin is probably on its last legs(the display is fading).
How often do I look at my trusted spg? Not more than 10 times per dive. As far as I am concerned, AI offers no advantage over spg whatsoever.

Chalk up a +3 for @drrich2 's post. I couldn't have stated it better myself.

My primary computer is a Suunto Cobra, i.e. hose AI, and getting my start and end pressures plus my SAC automagically when I download the dive(s) to my PC is pretty slick. My backup computer/dive trip watch is a Suunto Stinger. I'm not quite sure why I carry it, though, because if my Cobra craps out, I won't have a tank pressure reading anymore...

About @drrich2 post, I do all those things without AI. So it's nice to have, but there's no need to have. Only you can decide if the added convenience not having to calculate yourself is worth the extra money.

... a Suunto EON Steel wrist computer.

Suunto RGBM isn't a great choice given the OP's stated dive profiles/schedules.

The clue is in the name: Reduced Gradient Bubble Model.

It's very restrictive for repetitive diving, multi-day diving and/or short surface intervals.... autonomously applying greater conservatism (reducing the gradient) whenever diving behaviors are deemed influence the prolonged existence of those pesky micro-bubbles.

Dictatorial conservatism is good for less experienced divers, but I think that OP probably has sufficient experience to know what he can, and cannot, accomplish in his diving without getting bent.

For around the same price - $1429.99 (less if you shop around online) you could consider the Liquivision Lynx AI. Running the Buhlmann ZH-L16C algorithm it is much better suited to the OP's dive schedules.

If/when the Seabear H3 ever got an AI, I think it'd make a massive dent in the advanced/recreational diving market.

Hey all,
After 11 years and over 2000 dives I am upgrading computers.
Part of the reason is finally making a jump to Nitrox. The science was rather new when i bought my last Suunto and I was doing a lot of deeper dives then so I never bothered. Now I find I am hitting deco way to early on 4 and 5th dives. That and at 11 years i figure I am pushing my luck with the good old puck.
In my early searches everything is based on watches and wireless. I personally have no issue with a hose and console. Even more so when boat mates complain about signal issues.
At the moment I am looking at the cobra3 and looking for someone to talk me out of it.
Am I out of my mind by forgoing wireless? Has it become more consistent.
Any known problems with the Cobra3?
Any reasons to fear AI in general?
Other options to consider?
My primary diving is warm-temperate. 4-6 dives a day. Mostly photo work.
Thoughts? Opinions?
Regarding your consumption rate at depth -and with 11 years and over 2000 dives worth of experience- why do you need AI to tell you what you should already know by rote & confirmed with a simple analog SPG reading?

Otherwise as an underwater photographer, get the best and most reliable hose connected AI computer out there (unless you're sure a particular wireless/hoseless AI unit is impervious to RF interference from your camera strobes).

Back
Top Bottom