to snorkel or not to snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
I wear one. I like it for surface swims, though I switch to my back sometimes too. Other times it's fun to look around on the surface swim.

around here about the only time i look down on the surface swim is to figure out if i've got 5' of viz or 20' of viz. i usually just put my mask on, hold a deep breath, roll over and then roll back. usually not that much to see around here.

otherwise, i'll pop the reg in my mouth at the surface -- even on the move, air consumption should only be around 30 psi/min and i rarely come up with less than around 800 psi anyway...

I always wear one, never know when you may need it. I normally use it when at the surface waiting for someone to do who knows what. I do a LOT of kelp diving and it hasnt really been any type of problem so I take it. I have never had to cut my way out of anything.....knock wood.... but I always take a knife also. As far as long surface swims as in returning to the boat from the other side of the moon I will remove my BC, inflate it nicely and ride it like a paddle board. Its a lot easier that way.
Bill

Well the party line is to use one...except for drift diving, or anytime you are in major currents, wreck diving i.e. entry, cave diving...et cetera :)

Paul in VT

mine still has its sticker on it :)

lamont:
around here about the only time i look down on the surface swim is to figure out if i've got 5' of viz or 20' of viz. i usually just put my mask on, hold a deep breath, roll over and then roll back. usually not that much to see around here.

otherwise, i'll pop the reg in my mouth at the surface -- even on the move, air consumption should only be around 30 psi/min and i rarely come up with less than around 800 psi anyway...
You come back with 800 pounds of air ... what a waste ... I hate it when the dive boats make us return with 500 psi ... wimps ... I can remember went we stayed on the bottom until we had to pull the J valve at 300 psi ... we would then come up to about 30 feet and suck the tank dry before coming back on board ... Honest I think we could hear air rushing back into the tank because we sucked it so dry that a vacume developed.

Like Parrotthead diver I too dive in Laguna Beach where you are required to carry a Snorkel. I have been stopped by lifeguards while in the surf zone to question if we had our snorkel's. Not the best place to stop.

When boat diving in a kelp forest I will leave it on the boat as it is a problem getting tangled in the kelp. I also swim on my back on surface swims.

SubMariner:
Wear it, use it.

Also swim on my back. Or not. Depends on conditions.

Yep, I use one. If you have to make your way through kelp on the surface, it's hard to swim on your back, IMHO. You have to see where you're going. Surface swimming on your back is otherwise easier, admittedly.

I'd say there are definite situations where a snorkel is needed.

- ChillyWaters

Nemrod:
Began making them out of garden hose with an old mouth piece from a dive reg. Use some urethane glue or 3M adhesive and a tie wrap to secure the old mouth piece to the garden hose. I prefer an obnoxious grass green color to irritate know- it- alls and Snorkel Natzis.

Garden hose...That's good. I think I even have some old stuff laying around somewhere. And I know I have some old mouth pieces. I wouldn't mind losing that either. Well, now I have something to look forward to on my next boat dive...besides the diving.

Web Monkey:
It's a pain in the butt, but I always wear one (it's even a "dry" snorkle that everybody seems to rag on).

Mine's dry too, but probably in a different sense...

Back
Top Bottom