To start a biz in Paradise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pam and Stella

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If you wanted to drop out of the fast lane, and start a business somewhere WARM :) Where would the safest,affordable,least corrupt destination of your travels thus far take you?

Pam

Where ever, take me with you pllleeasse take me with you, I can cook, clean (well maybe not)instruct, drive boats, run compressors ect ect ect.

TOBAGO would be my choice.

Funnily enough, had this conversation with my brother this weekend and we decided either Gran Canaria or South Africa. Still, its gonna take us a few years to get the cash together so that'll probably change several times before then!!

Pam, I would suggest reading "Don't Stop The Carnival" by Herman Wouk. You can get it via Amazon.com. Then decide if you want to open a business in the islands.
RonC.

Please take RonC's advice....the book will open your eyes to the many obstacles to contend with....however, if you stick with the US islands (such as Warhammer's suggestion of St. Thomas) you will avoid most of the unforeseen headaches.

I would vote for an isand only 3 miles across the Pillsbury Sound from St. Thomas....St. John. As I observe it, lots of opportunities without near the hassel or competition. Plus, the living environment is much more like "paradise".

Of course, Saba is nice.........

Good luck in your search. You seem to be a lady with a mission!

Your destination will probably depend on what type of business you are in or looking to open. My wife & I moved
to St. Thomas 14 years ago. We made our choice based upon our need to be in a U.S. jurisdcition so we could work in our choosen proffession--we're both lawyers. We've been thru 7 hurricanes now and have rebuilt our house twice. But we couldn't go back to the mainland anymore.

The bottom line is you need to explore the tropics and decided what best fits with your lifestlye and needs. "Don't Stop the Carnival" is worth a read but it's very dated. Check out the "St. Thomas Source" on-line for a more recent view of the day to day news in the Virgin Islands. Check out Costa Rica if your looking for a change of lifesyle, but still having the amenities of the U.S. I'd stay away from the rest of latin america. Elsewhere in the caribbean, the BVI's offer a slower pace than St. Thomas & St. John, but fewer opportunities. The ABC islands are also worth checking.

Hope to see you diving in paradise...I'm off for some weekend diving locally and then next week to St. Lucia to dive the Pitons.

Thank you for the information everyone. Feedback is very important from people who actually are doing the living and
working stint in the islands. One can never be too informed!!

Pam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom