To touch or not to touch other diver's gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1379670618259715621.jpg

i didnt bother watching the video but to me it is pretty simple. keep your hands to yourself unless you ask first.
that goes for dm's, instructors, dive buddies etc.
many well intentioned divers have inadvertently caused issues when trying to be helpful.
as my Grinch tshirt says...."no touchy touchy"

There are times when for safety reasons it can not be avoided, like the people who can't or don't know how to secure their dive cylinders on a diver charter boat.
If you have ever ran a dive boat you will know what it is like, here I [or a DM or deck hand] would check every cylinder was secure before we were underway, not making way, before leaving the dock/wharf [made fast to the shore] , in between dives and before leaving the dive site, most times we put the cylinders in the racks for them and other insist they do it [the don't touch my gear type], I don't care , it is checked by the boats crew, and if it is not right we handle it, get over it.

For those that don't know: The word "underway" means a vessel is not at anchor, or made fast to the shore, or aground. "Making way" means the vessel is making way through water. If the vessel is drifting and moving with current, she is underway but not making way.

What were you doing diving sidemount off a boat?

Divers ain't the problem.

It's the dope head boat monkeys.
Some are , some dope desk driver knows seamanship better than my 'Deck Ape' boat crew, we make sure our crews are trained and paid well, they also don't expect a tip, it is not done here.

Call them a 'boat monkey' here and expect an Attitude Adjustment.
I don't know what it is like over there, treat the crew with a little respect and you will receive the same, and good service.

I generally dive with friends; we have recreational gear. Out of habit, I generally check their valve position, and sometimes even check the tightness of the OPV valve cap on the BC. I've prevented a lot of incidents like this and I think this is why many DM's (in recreational settings) are going to check the valve position, before the diver splashes.

If they are good at it (sneaky I mean) the poor unsuspecting diver never even knows it happened. I am sure from the DM's perspective checking prevents a lot of problems, especially when they keep finding valves that are not on all the way.

Also it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to accidentally turn a tank valve off on a buddy, because I do not actually turn the valve handle more than maybe a quarter or half turn. I simply check the position.

I try to shut it off, and if it moves that way, then I turn it back to on to the stop (fully open) and then back a sliver. If they have it off, and I try to turn it off further, the valve is not open since it doesn't move.

If they have it only partially open when I check, then it may stop when I try to close and it certainly will not stop when I turn the other way and attempt to detect fully open.

The whole thing takes only a moment.

Regardless, of what I find, I pretty much return the valve to the original position.

If I THINK there is a problem, then I will say something to the buddy like..."hey I think your tank was off (or only open a tiny bit) ; do you want me to fix it or do you want to check yourself?" Invariably, they say "can you fix it please". And I crank it open and then ask "is your tank full" watching that they check the pressure.

I can remember only one guy who objected, and I kinda laughed at him and said "you are going to trust me to drive your boat while you are down and not run you over when I pick you up, yet you don't trust me with checking a valve?, LOL".

Had to laugh one time, a "don't touch my gear type" loaded his own gear on the boat, secured it in the racks and all looks OK , until he did a stride off the boat and his dive cylinder slipped out of his cylinder strap, had to be helped back to the boat to fix it.
Very untidy. :giggle:

Precious little thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom