To touch or not to touch other diver's gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you an ointment suggestion :wink:
Yeah, fire coral. I hear it's great for the skin!
1708548056650.png
:wink:

Yeah....... but how hard is it for that crew member who is behind a diver to just say....."Air's on. Good to go". At least at that point I would know someone touched my gear and to do a re-check since it's really my responsibility. Also, if a crew member did ever find a divers air off and turned it on then I would hope he/she would say something to them like...."hey, your air was off".. to make it a learning moment.

T
As I mentioned in my prior post, turning someone's air on and then scolding them ( or teasing them in a playful manner, which I tend to do) and sending them on their way. Is a bad, bad idea. Why?

Because they screwed up. Quite possibly they didn't check the pressure. Quite possibly they were distracted and are attempting to enter the water with a tank that was already used and it has only 500 psi in it. Accidents and problems compound like that often.

If you are going to turn their tank on and mitigate their carelessness, the last thing you want to do is send them in with an MT tank. I always make them check the pressure after I have turned a closed valve open. I might also ask if their computer is set too.

Personally, I try to accept that crew have procedures to adhere to. For instance, I was on a live aboard where I was told by my guide (this was a "I want to introvert, I dont want to deal with other people, so I rented a buddy" kind of trip) that the crew HAD to check that your valve was open. OK, fine...

The trouble started when the DM checked... and I immediately did a flow-check after. So the DM did the check again... I smiled, and did a flow-check again. This continued a third time, until my guide, who was also a tech diver, told him to take a look at my bcd and regs (BPW/Longhose. Was the only one on the boat with that kind of gear except for my guide), and let him know that I would never let him have the last hand on that valve.

I do not mind people doing their job, but I dislike sneaking. Tell me that you need to check my valve, but accept that I will have the last hand on that valve. Please, secure my gear should I have failed to do so, but let me know so I can correct my errors in the future. Ask if I need help. Don't sneak. Don't grab me. Don't pull me.

Window lickers, that can't turn a valve counterclockwise open, shouldn't be on a boat at all.

How does anyone screw that up? Can they read and write?

Window lickers, that can't turn a valve counterclockwise open, shouldn't be on a boat at all.

How does anyone screw that up? Can they read and write?

Totally agree that it is something that should not ever be screwed up...... but for whatever reason it happens.....so best to leave the responsibility 100% on the diver.

Don't do to others what you don't want done to you...

If the gear is about to fall (e.g. in boat rack) or causing a hazard- I would notify its owner if he is on deck, or secure/move it myself otherwise. I'd expect the same venerous treatment if that was my gear.

If I notice something about to break or get loose on another diver's gear, for example SMB or spool about to unfold just before jumping- I'd let them know, and if been asked to help I'll gladly do it.

As a "victim" of once having my valve closed (and opened 1/4 turn) by a local DM, discovering this already at 10-16 meters, I never evet touch other's valves (exept buddy of course) unless being asked to. Then I also ask them to get a few breaths and watch SPG: Along the years I've seen quite a few divers who, like me, were unaware of this. Once somebody taught me, I keep doing this simeple check for years. Instead of scorning for neglecting to check their valves I explain a simple thing that will always help.

Also, some people- wife included- get confused with valve direction if they are standing from behind. Myself, I often get it wrong side when trying to open a screw of nut that is facing downwards or when rotating cartesian coordinates. Moreover, there are many left handed valves especially in dive ops that also cater for side mount divers.

Other stuff that in my opinion is wrong I will ask the diver about it. Sometimes I get surprised and learn new things, in others the response is "thanks, I didn't notice".

Nothing shameful about asking or learning.

Diving last year in Cuba, I had a little trouble with my mask, was adjusting it , and I guess my first stage had some tinny bubbles escaping. I have seen this many times and it has not been a big deal.. Anyways, as I stopped to fix my mask, another diver, from the same group I was diving with, suddenly has his alternate, 3rd stage, in front of my face and is reaching to turn my air off!!! I pushed him away and carried on. On shore, back at the resort I saw him. I freaked on him.. " Dont you ever touch my equipment!!! " He sais he thought I was out of air and was going to shut the tank off so I wouldnt keep sucking on it???????????? Again I told him,, NEVER< NEVER touch my stuff

Back
Top Bottom