Tobermory Dive Operations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coldwater_Canuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey, so considering I've spent 95% of my life in Ontario, I figure I should probably do some diving here at some point. Looking around it sounds like Tobermory has some great diving and a couple good dive operations (who seem almost identical in terms of sites, pricing, etc.).

I guess I have a few questions:

a.) How difficult are the various dives in general?

b.) I assume that other than the technical dives, the divers on the boats aren't expecting to do penetration dives or deco dives? If they are, is there anyway to know they'll find you a buddy who isn't expecting to do the more technical types of dives? I ask this because I don't have overhead or wreck diving experience beyond a couple tiny wrecks I observed from the outside.

c.) One site that looks kind of cool is "the caves". But I'm a bit confused about what these actually are. Are they actual overhead caverns by diving standards, or are they some sort of cavern where it is still 'open water' but when you surface you're in a cave? I'm a bit confused because the DiversDen site lists it as a novice dive and also says people can swim/snorkel the site.

Thanks!

Hey, so considering I've spent 95% of my life in Ontario, I figure I should probably do some diving here at some point. Looking around it sounds like Tobermory has some great diving and a couple good dive operations (who seem almost identical in terms of sites, pricing, etc.).

I guess I have a few questions:

a.) How difficult are the various dives in general?

They're all different. (not much help, sorry) Some are shallow and some are very deep. Some are absolutely technical dives and some are almost snorkeling depth. They're all cold. Below the thermocline, it's really cold.

The shallower wrecks tend to be more beat up and some just look like a pile of boards, but also tend to be easier.

b.) I assume that other than the technical dives, the divers on the boats aren't expecting to do penetration dives or deco dives? If they are, is there anyway to know they'll find you a buddy who isn't expecting to do the more technical types of dives? I ask this because I don't have overhead or wreck diving experience beyond a couple tiny wrecks I observed from the outside.

Some of the wrecks have either been sanitized, looted or just broken up enough that you can do things like swim through the wheelhouse, and easily see several large, open exits, however absolutely do not penetrate any wrecks anywhere (go through hatches, down passageways, etc) without proper training and equipment and a 100% known-good buddy, regardless of who wants to go where.

The dives have no "DM" or guide of any type, so you'll need to make sure that you do your own dive and gas planning and monitor your own depth, tank pressure, buddy, etc. Although I don't want to make it sound more dangerous than it is, it's entirely possible to screw up and kill or injure yourself.

Terry

Thanks Terry!

They're all different. (not much help, sorry) Some are shallow and some are very deep. Some are absolutely technical dives and some are almost snorkeling depth. They're all cold. Below the thermocline, it's really cold.
Well it's not so much depth I'm concerned about, since the sites list all the depths pretty well and with depth I have more of an idea what I'm getting into. My maximum depth so far is 110 feet (although I consider around 90 feet about the most I'd feel reasonably comfortable with now).

What do you define as "really" cold. About the warmest dive I've done was 50, the coldest I think I hit 43 (Fahrenheit). So I'm not exactly expecting warm water.

Some of the wrecks have either been sanitized, looted or just broken up enough that you can do things like swim through the wheelhouse, and easily see several large, open exits, however absolutely do not penetrate any wrecks anywhere (go through hatches, down passageways, etc) without proper training and equipment and a 100% known-good buddy, regardless of who wants to go where.

The dives have no "DM" or guide of any type, so you'll need to make sure that you do your own dive and gas planning and monitor your own depth, tank pressure, buddy, etc. Although I don't want to make it sound more dangerous than it is, it's entirely possible to screw up and kill or injure yourself.

Terry
Oh definitely, no way was I planning to penetrate a wreck. That's what I was asking about, actually. Are there people on the regular dive boats who are doing penetration? The situation I'd worry about is I go there myself and then everyone on the boat is doing something beyond my abilities. That's why I'm less concerned about depth: I'll know the sites ahead of time so won't have any surprises.

It will just be easier if I can convince someone to come with me, but I only have a couple friends in Ontario who are divers.

Most of the dive sites are within Five Fathoms National Marine Park. While the descriptions on the dive op web sites aren't bad, if you haven't already, you might also want to have a look at the park web site: Parks Canada - Diving

What do you define as "really" cold. About the warmest dive I've done was 50, the coldest I think I hit 43 (Fahrenheit). So I'm not exactly expecting warm water.

Depending on the time of year, that's probably pretty close to what you'll find.

Oh definitely, no way was I planning to penetrate a wreck. That's what I was asking about, actually. Are there people on the regular divoe boats who are doing penetration?
No idea. We've always bought out the boat, so I don't know what happens with mixed groups.

The situation I'd worry about is I go there myself and then everyone on the boat is doing something beyond my abilities. That's why I'm less concerned about depth: I'll know the sites ahead of time so won't have any surprises.
Check with the dive ops. They would know what's going on for specific dates.

Terry

Most of the dive sites are within Five Fathoms National Marine Park. While the descriptions on the dive op web sites aren't bad, if you haven't already, you might also want to have a look at the park web site: Parks Canada - Diving
Ah that links useful, thanks.

No idea. We've always bought out the boat, so I don't know what happens with mixed groups.

Check with the dive ops. They would know what's going on for specific dates.

Terry

You're probably right, they must have some sort of plan in advance even with 'walk-ons'. Knowing who you're diving with ahead of time is a definite plus.

And saying that, I guess I may as well ask on here, although it's a longshot, if there's anyone who would be interested going there on the July 4 weekend and needs a buddy, let me know. What I'd really like to do (and no idea if this will work out with the operators schedules) is get in 1 (shallow) night dive, 1 deeper dive (as in 60-90ish feet), and 1 shallower dive in the day.

You're probably right, they must have some sort of plan in advance even with 'walk-ons'. Knowing who you're diving with ahead of time is a definite plus.

My general experience: The charters generally prefer to pair dives which are in the same general geographical direction from the harbor, although if you're helping to specify the itinerary there seems to be a bit of flexibility as to exactly which sites get chosen. Most common pairings are on the shop web sites. If you phone up a few weeks ahead of time and a boat doesn't have an itinerary set yet, they're generally willing to take input especially if you're reserving for a larger group. A day or two before the scheduled sailing, they'll have itineraries set and written on the chalk board for boats that still have room.

You can call Diver's Den or G+S (see link below for links to their sites) in Tobermory and ask what they have planned for a given day. A typical outing for them (I MUCH prefer Diver's Den) is a dive on the Niagara II and then a dive at The Grotto/The Caves. That is a Deep ~100' / Shallow ~40' dive configuration. The night dive will likely depend on turnout for the rest of the boat. Too few divers = no dive.

For the night dive you could also do a shore dive. There are some great shore dives such as the Lighthouse which makes a great night dive.

This may be useful for dive sites (shore) and links to places as well as information on specific sites.

You can call Diver's Den or G+S (see link below for links to their sites) in Tobermory and ask what they have planned for a given day. A typical outing for them (I MUCH prefer Diver's Den) is a dive on the Niagara II and then a dive at The Grotto/The Caves. That is a Deep ~100' / Shallow ~40' dive configuration. The night dive will likely depend on turnout for the rest of the boat. Too few divers = no dive.

For the night dive you could also do a shore dive. There are some great shore dives such as the Lighthouse which makes a great night dive.

This may be useful for dive sites (shore) and links to places as well as information on specific sites.

I forgot about the lighthouse!

It's actually a very cool dive. I could happily spend a good part of the weekend just doing shore dives around the point.

Terry

Yup and it is a VERY dive. Easy entry and very cool rock formations and overhangs etc. It is still only one of many great shore dives there.....unfortunately I did not finish the page I linked so a couple of the sites have no link....but they are still great dives.

The Niagara II is a fun dive as well but I do not think I have ever crossed the thermocline and found it to be warmer than 45 degrees. The Caroline Rose was a shallower wreck and sort of interesting but in smaller pieces unlike the Niagara II.

Back
Top Bottom