Tobermory Dive Operations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In fact you do not really notice a 30cuf sling,
Really, when I see pictures of them they just look so huge. Is it you're used to it now, or even your first dive with it on you barely knew it was there?

I'm not sure how you want to put your 13 cuf bottle, most likely to the main tank so you will need to get the kit to connect it. I bought 30 cuf right away. You will most likely grow to those depths faster than you think.Why spend money again.
I was thinking to sling a 13, same basic idea just smaller. You're right that I will probably grow to those depths pretty quickly, but if days I knew I was only going to 60 feet, 30 cf is really overboard (although if you honestly don't really notice it, it may not matter).

yes I found 375 bucks for a reg like FH VI is pretty nice. I bought my first one for 500 off season (in winter) a year and a half ago. They were going higher during season times as far as I remember.
I lucked out so much in timing when I bought my BCD and reg. I was going to buy a package with crappier equipment, but then saw they were having a clearance sale on the old Ranger LTD models, grabbed one right away. Then a month or two later I was looking at regs, I was basically set on the cheaper 50D, but then all of a sudden I noticed the Flatheads dropped to $400, and grabbed one of those right away (surprisingly, the regs didn't sell out like the BCDs since you can still get the 6s)

I do want to get a 30 eventually when I do my deep diver cert, because I figure that's enough right to 130'

But it seems like a tank that big slung would be somewhat annoying (and take some practice to get used to diving with).
[.....]
Maybe I'm overestimating the learning curve to having a larger pony, but it seems to me like a 13 would be much more comfortable and easy to swim with.

The yellow tank in my avatar pic is a 30. Elan is right, you hardly notice a slung 30 when you're diving. Based on SAC rates, as a bailout bottle, it is more useful than a smaller tank. If you do a search on pony tanks and SAC rates, you'll get way more info than you can read on choosing tank size. It makes more sense on the pocketbook also IMO than buying a 30 and a 13.......but then you're talking to someone who has a tank cupboard that's full....:wink:

*edit* the first couple of dives I was getting used to the 30, IIRC, then I went on to sling a 40, then an 80...each time there's the initial dive getting used to it, practicing unclipping it, clipping it back on, deploying the reg, re-deploying it, getting the muscle memory in place. I have my stage regs on 40 inch hoses so I can route them behind my neck and over the right shoulder more easily, and dive with the slung tank pressurized but turned off...there's oodles of pages of arguements for pony off or on when diving, my practice stems from tech diving principles where you want the gas in a stage tank to be there when you need it. It also means that you have the muscle memory to turn the tank on as you deploy the reg. Not a complicated thing but one needs to practice.

The yellow tank in my avatar pic is a 30. Elan is right, you hardly notice a slung 30 when you're diving. Based on SAC rates, as a bailout bottle, it is more useful than a smaller tank. If you do a search on pony tanks and SAC rates, you'll get way more info than you can read on choosing tank size. It makes more sense on the pocketbook also IMO than buying a 30 and a 13.......but then you're talking to someone who has a tank cupboard that's full....:wink:
I agree that a 30 is the appropriate size for a rec diver (an experienced diver could maybe get by with 19 if they can control their breathing rate well in an emergency). That should be enough for an emergency ascent from 130 feet. It's overkill for something under 100, but if you can't notice it, then I guess it doesn't really matter.

*edit* the first couple of dives I was getting used to the 30, IIRC, then I went on to sling a 40, then an 80...each time there's the initial dive getting used to it, practicing unclipping it, clipping it back on, deploying the reg, re-deploying it, getting the muscle memory in place. I have my stage regs on 40 inch hoses so I can route them behind my neck and over the right shoulder more easily, and dive with the slung tank pressurized but turned off...there's oodles of pages of arguements for pony off or on when diving, my practice stems from tech diving principles where you want the gas in a stage tank to be there when you need it. It also means that you have the muscle memory to turn the tank on as you deploy the reg. Not a complicated thing but one needs to practice.
Ya I'd probably start with it turned on just so that I don't have to worry about it (and in rec diving where it's really just an optional piece of safety equipment, if it freeflows or something while on, this isn't catastrophic, unlike a tech dive where you need that air). But in time I would like to get some practice with it so I could leave it off.

But why do you need to unclip it? And if you have a decent setup, wouldn't' "Deploying" the reg just mean pulling it towards you (assuming you have the hose under some fairly loose bungees or something similar)?

My bigger concern though right now, rather than getting good at using the pony, is is it a big adjustment just having it there at first? What I mean is while I've added plenty of accessories to my BCD, they've all been relatively small, biggest thing was a camera or flashlight. Is it a bit weird having a relatively large tank hooked to you or is it out of your way enough that you really don't notice it (at first)?

Several reasons as to why unclip/reclip a tank underwater. For recreational use, it can make getting up a boat ladder easier if you can unclip it and hand it up. If you were donating a slung tank to an OOA buddy, they take the reg, then you can give them the tank. You might need to unclip the tank if you got entangled. Familiarity with equipment means being able to manipulate gear.

For tech diving, you might be doing a dive where you have multiple stages and want a particular stage on top once you've finished with other tanks. If you're cave diving and coming out the same way you went in (remember some caves have multiple entrances) you'd stow the stage somewhere along the route and come back for it. Some wreck divers take stages off when penetrating wrecks, then reclip them on exit. There's probably more reasons but that's what I can think of now.

Yes, you deploy the reg by pulling it towards you from under the bungee. However I don't like having the hose dangling in front of me, and around the back of my neck it's streamlined. Hose routing probably has more relevance if you're using a stage bottle as part of a dive plan (eg, going to a higher mix of oxygen on a deco dive), rather than as a bailout bottle in a recreational backup plan scenario. But I like to dive the same set-up regardless of what type of dive I'm doing.

When you're on the shore or boat, yes you notice the pony hanging there. The first time I jumped off a boat with the 30 it freeflowed from the impact with the water, that was amusing but easily fixed. (And another reason to keep it pressurized but turned off.)

When you're underwater, however, it just sort of disappears, yes it's hanging there but it's pretty unobtrusive. I have read photographers here on SB saying they think it would get in the way of taking a photo, however they don't dive with a pony. On the other hand there are professional photographers who post on here that dive with a slung tank all the time and get great shots.

I'm also a fan of having an SPG on the slung tank instead of one of those little pop-up guages; I can read the SPG easily underwater. Those pop-up buttons aren't so accurate to read IMO.

Several reasons as to why unclip/reclip a tank underwater. For recreational use, it can make getting up a boat ladder easier if you can unclip it and hand it up. If you were donating a slung tank to an OOA buddy, they take the reg, then you can give them the tank. You might need to unclip the tank if you got entangled. Familiarity with equipment means being able to manipulate gear.
Makes sense. I'd think something like passing it off would be good to practice, although not necessary to dive with a pony (I see the advantage of making your buddy self sufficient again, but worst case you ascend together, as if you were buddy breathing: so you're no worse off).

For tech diving, you might be doing a dive where you have multiple stages and want a particular stage on top once you've finished with other tanks. If you're cave diving and coming out the same way you went in (remember some caves have multiple entrances) you'd stow the stage somewhere along the route and come back for it. Some wreck divers take stages off when penetrating wrecks, then reclip them on exit. There's probably more reasons but that's what I can think of now.

Yes, you deploy the reg by pulling it towards you from under the bungee. However I don't like having the hose dangling in front of me, and around the back of my neck it's streamlined. Hose routing probably has more relevance if you're using a stage bottle as part of a dive plan (eg, going to a higher mix of oxygen on a deco dive), rather than as a bailout bottle in a recreational backup plan scenario. But I like to dive the same set-up regardless of what type of dive I'm doing.
Man I don't know how you guys can do all this. Maybe I'll change my tune in a few years, but right now I just can't imagine going into the water with 5 bottles and all these decompression stops and everything. Must be pretty cool though.

When you're on the shore or boat, yes you notice the pony hanging there. The first time I jumped off a boat with the 30 it freeflowed from the impact with the water, that was amusing but easily fixed. (And another reason to keep it pressurized but turned off.)
haha ya I've seen that happen with just octos (not sure if it happened to me on a boat, I've definately had freeflows on the surface on shore): venturi switch makes a huge difference.

When you're underwater, however, it just sort of disappears, yes it's hanging there but it's pretty unobtrusive. I have read photographers here on SB saying they think it would get in the way of taking a photo, however they don't dive with a pony. On the other hand there are professional photographers who post on here that dive with a slung tank all the time and get great shots.
That's good. It seems to me like it would impact the use of your left arm, but it's tough to picture how it's going to hang underwater. In any case, I'm right handed so as long as my left hand can operate the inflator hose and such, it probably isn't a big deal.

I'm also a fan of having an SPG on the slung tank instead of one of those little pop-up guages; I can read the SPG easily underwater. Those pop-up buttons aren't so accurate to read IMO.
Sorry what do you mean having it "on the slung tank" as opposed to "pop-up buttons". The gauges I've seen have looked something like: Highland Mini Tech Pony Gauge reviews and discounts, XS Scuba

Do you consider this something you read on the tank or a "pop-up"?

That's good. It seems to me like it would impact the use of your left arm, but it's tough to picture how it's going to hang underwater. In any case, I'm right handed so as long as my left hand can operate the inflator hose and such, it probably isn't a big deal.
When you're horizontal in the water, it hangs below you.

Sorry what do you mean having it "on the slung tank" as opposed to "pop-up buttons". The gauges I've seen have looked something like: Highland Mini Tech Pony Gauge reviews and discounts, XS Scuba

Do you consider this something you read on the tank or a "pop-up"?

That's something you read on the tank....this is what my 40 looks like only it's yellow.
SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Deluxe Hose Retainers
I have the SPG on a 6 inch hose like in this link, but the Highland Mini Gauge looks like you could read the numbers ok.

Pop-ups are just a white button that sticks up when the tank is full, and slowly goes down as you breathe the tank...you have to guess if it's half full, or 1/3 full, etc...not so accurate.

Really, when I see pictures of them they just look so huge. Is it you're used to it now, or even your first dive with it on you barely knew it was there?
First dive yes, I noticed, I needed to calibrate my weights. Now I add 3 lb more into the right pocket so it balances the bottle, and sling it to the side. Not much difference.

When you're horizontal in the water, it hangs below you.
Right, but it still seems it would prevent you from reaching across to some parts of your BCD or get in the way occasionally. Not a huge deal, just might take a little getting used to.

That's something you read on the tank....this is what my 40 looks like only it's yellow.
SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Deluxe Hose Retainers
I have the SPG on a 6 inch hose like in this link, but the Highland Mini Gauge looks like you could read the numbers ok.

Pop-ups are just a white button that sticks up when the tank is full, and slowly goes down as you breathe the tank...you have to guess if it's half full, or 1/3 full, etc...not so accurate.
The little hose looks like a good idea just for the fact that you can position the tank how you want and not have to worry about your regs HP gauge pointing towards you. I'd never even seen or heard of the pop up buttons: doesn't seem like a great way to save a few bucks.

Also, any recommendations for what to buy for the elastic straps? That picture has some sort of DiveRite band or something.

---------

Anyways, I just got my BCD out of a storage unit it was in and I tried my MacGuiver skills by taping together some jumbo toilet paper roles and wrapping them in paper to be almost the exact size of a 30cf pony (obviously much lighter). It actually doesn't seem as bad as I thought it would, my left arm is a little impacted as I thought (as in I can't move it towards the center of my body as easily) but I can reach and adjust everything okay.

First dive yes, I noticed, I needed to calibrate my weights. Now I add 3 lb more into the right pocket so it balances the bottle, and sling it to the side. Not much difference.
I figured you'd need to add a few pounds just cus the bottle + reg is a few pounds negative. What happened when you didn't do this, did you roll towards your left?

Also, any recommendations for what to buy for the elastic straps? That picture has some sort of DiveRite band or something.
I use bungee cord, tied 1/3 of the way from the top of the tank, run the bungee down the tank to 1/3 of the way from the bottom. I may have a pic somewhere if you're interested. I used to use inner tubes from trailer tires, cut into strips, but these can be hard to manipulate to restow the reg when wearing gloves. *edit* In the avatar pic, the middle ALu 80 and the yellow 30 on the bottom shelf were still set up with the inner tube method when I took the pic.

Anyways, I just got my BCD out of a storage unit it was in and I tried my MacGuiver skills by taping together some jumbo toilet paper roles and wrapping them in paper to be almost the exact size of a 30cf pony (obviously much lighter). It actually doesn't seem as bad as I thought it would, my left arm is a little impacted as I thought (as in I can't move it towards the center of my body as easily) but I can reach and adjust everything okay.

Great image of the toilet paper tank, sounds like something I'd do.:D

Try and have the sling strap just long enough that you can get your arm in between the tank and your body so you can access everything. I have dry gloves, so the space needs to be enough to get the dry glove rings through, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom