Too early for 2006 yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes - I used to work for Sartek and went to DEMA with them in 2000. BTS is a huge consumer show. You get divers from all over the Northeast. It is massive. Boston Sea Rovers is going on for 52 years now. It is one of those shows that people go to (mfg) because of the name recognition. A lot of good contacts are made there. The SCUBA Show - Never attended,but I have heard it is the West Cost version of DEMA.

cleung:
I have never been to DEMA but heard that it is the premier show for the dive industry. As a creator of a new line of scuba diving related activewear (t-shirts, tank tops, etc.), would this be an appropriate venue for me to exhibit next year? Are there any other scuba shows that would be of value for me?

DEMA can be good, but it is pricy. If you are not a member of DEMA, the booth space is over $21/sq ft, and the costs to move your stuff into the convention hall was very expensive if you had the mob, er, union move it in and out for you (61 cents a pound), and if you need lighting or anything more than a simple booth setup, you had to pay for that as well. Not sure if that will be the case in Orlando or not, but forewarned is forearmed!

Also, before signing on the dotted line for the booth, determine if you are targeting your stuff to the general consumer, or on getting your apparel into scuba shops for THEM to peddle to the masses. If the latter, then DEMA is the more appropriate venue. If you want to go direct and sell to the masses via the web (after the show) one of the consumer shows would probably give you a better bang for your buck.

FWIW, There were A LOT of clothing-type vendors at the Vegas show, so the competition may be a bit fierce next year, although not all vendors who were at this show will make the trek to the other side of the country for next year.

Just my two cents.

be associated with a dive shop or manufacturer. I'd like to go to a DEMA show but from what I've heard I'd have to start working at the LDS for minimum wage. I heard that you can volunteer with setup or something like that or something like that.

offroaddiver:
be associated with a dive shop or manufacturer. I'd like to go to a DEMA show but from what I've heard I'd have to start working at the LDS for minimum wage. I heard that you can volunteer with setup or something like that or something like that.

Good question - I'd like to know that too. How does ticketing work?

offroaddiver:

I'm a member of DEMA, so I can get up to 6 passes for the show as a "perk" for membership. I'll have at least 3 extras next year... let the bidding begin - at free! :D

I may not attend at all, so I may in fact have all 6 passes available. Keep in touch and I'll be happy to give them to others that can and will attend.

DEMA is a trade show: it's designed for the pros to learn more about the products from the manufacturers and the resorts so they can filter out the bad and bring you the good.

There are many fine Consumer shows, like the Florida Dive Show, as well as others. ScubaBoard will be happy to promote these shows as the companies in charge of them allow us.

divetahoe:
I'm a member of DEMA, so I can get up to 6 passes for the show as a "perk" for membership. I'll have at least 3 extras next year... let the bidding begin - at free! :D

I may not attend at all, so I may in fact have all 6 passes available. Keep in touch and I'll be happy to give them to others that can and will attend.

MAN!!! This is one of the reasons that the DEMA show has become such a screwed up mess! It is intended to be a trade show ... for the trade. That means, dive shops and dive industry people that buy and sell dive related stuff.

Nothing is more frustrating to an exhibitor than to have to spend time gland handing Joe Schmuck the plumber who got in because Joe knows someone that can get him a pass.

It costs the exhibitors a bunch of money to rent real estate at this shindig in hopes of attracting a few stores that can effectively sell their products. If the booth gets filled up with individuals just looking at what is cool for themselves, then the real buyers can't get in and that time and money is wasted.

And, as far as buying there, DEMA tells the exhibitors that EVERYONE who attends is a dive professional. As a result, some of the companies have what is called industry courtesy sales. Imagine how torqued off Mr. Dive Shop would be seeing Joe come in with a brand new drysuit, BC or regulator that he bought at DEMA for wholesale! You can pretty much bet that the brands that were sold to Joe would immediately get dumpped from that shop.

divetahoe ... please don't give them away to anyone that isn't actively engaged in the business. There are lots of consumer shows around teh country. Give some of those tickets away if you have a burning desire to give out passes.

(Stepping down from soapbox)

Back
Top Bottom