Too many restrictions at Canyon Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laredo Scuba Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Canyon Lake has too many restrictions:

1. Cannot reserve a spot on weekends to go diving.

2. First come first serve on weekends.

3. I traveled early in the morning from Laredo to Canyon Lake, arrived at 10:00 a.m., lake was filled. I had to wait till late afternoon till there was an opening. This is not fair.

4. I called and complained to the Army Corp of Engineers. They said that the more calls they receive from the scuba diving community, the better, so they can recommend changes.

The lake is closed from December to March. another restriction.

Week days are free for divers. First come first serve.

Please call the the Army Corp of Engineers at (830) 964-3341 to make it easier for divers to dive Canyon Lake.

Lake Travis in Austin and Lake Amistad in Del Rio, do not have so many restrictions like Canyon Lake.

Please call them.

Rene,
Divemaster :depressed: :cool2:

Yes, they only allow so many people in the lake. Divers do not need a camp site for the day.

The only restrictions I am aware of is camping at North Park. Comal Park and Holiday Beach are the other alternatives. A boat would solve the problem of diving North Park or anywhere on the lake. There are rentals available at the Marina. If you are military there are rentals availabe. If you call your local dive shop or one in San Antonio or San Marcos in advance, they can arrange a pass to dive with their groups. They have always been very very good to me and anyone else who wants to dive the lake. Conditions are pretty good right now and getting better. Planning usually solves the problem. There is no limit on people in the lake, just in the camp sites.

Hello Vintage Diver,

I told the entrance employee at the Lake that I just wanted to dive and I did not need a camp site. They still said, I could not dive until there was a space available. I do not have a boat. I will try the dive shop option but I do not see the difference. Thank you for the advise anyway. :idk:

Rene

I have seen parks on other lakes closed because all available parking facilities were full, including Lake Travis. Are you sure the problem was not parking facilities?

Yeah, N park could be run alot better. I'm lucky that I'm able to dive it now and then during the week if I want, but as you stated the camp ground is closed for much of the year then there is no access at all during that time. I've dove Holiday beach and the diving there didn't impress me. I've been told that the other parks around the lake aren't much good for diving either. Of course a boat would solve all your problems no matter where you dive- send me a message when you get one :D

Hello Vintage Diver,

I told the entrance employee at the Lake that I just wanted to dive and I did not need a camp site. They still said, I could not dive until there was a space available. I do not have a boat. I will try the dive shop option but I do not see the difference. Thank you for the advise anyway. :idk:

Rene

that is the same answer they gave me about 4 years ago...I never went back....I went around to the other side of the lake where the boat ramp is...but the diving is not that great....and I have been on a boat there as well...We used to go to NorthPark all the time until they gave us "all the tables/spaces are full" business...:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom