Too much choice!!! Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are looking for good quality regs for a really good price look into dive rite. They breath really good for the price and I use mine on my tech rig. Just going to toss that one out there. Just a suggestion but I believe they should at least be considered.

If you want more info on Apeks regs, I have a descent collection... Go to the site in my signature and click on "Talk" then "Equipment" and then "Regulators."

:)

...And I highly recommend DiveInn.com for purchasing. Great service,. great price, great reg. :) I've purchased four from them.

My recommendation for anyone looking for an Apeks setup is the ATX50/ATX50/DS4 setup, although I like the cool design of the ATX200's first stage, and feel it's worth the extra $100. There is no performance difference in the ATX50 (ATX50/DS4 combo) vs. the ATX200 (first and second).

Looks to me as if with a single tank setup, the ATX200 first stage will have slightly better hose routing. Any comments from the owners? (I know, with doubles, the DS4's work great, too.)

I don't own any Apeks regulators, but they seem to be pretty nice. Personally, I'm getting a couple used Atomics for the doubles set because I like my Atomics so much. (And I don't need the environmental seal.)

That said, I am thinking about getting either a DS4 or a US4 for an argon bottle setup.

Definately. Got to play with ATX200 and a ATX50/DS4 today. Beautiful regs.

I like my Aqualung Legend LX Supreme but for my next set I am definately going with the Apeks... Especially considering maintenance manuals and parts are easy to come buy as well.

I would personally recommend the Apeks line.

They are the best breathing reg I have used.
For price, I would say the best reg of coice would be the ATX50/DS4 combination.

Fantastic reg.

Good luck.

t

As you may have noticed this board has a lot of Apeks fans (and dealers...) and there is no doubt that Apeks makes great regs (although IMO not the best).

However as a new diver and on a budget your original choices are all very appropriate and will last you for many many years in cold and warm waters. My personal preference would be the Aqualung Titan (very light breather - better than Apeks actually - and very reliable) and the Mares Abyss (very reliable, all-metal design great in cold water and against cotton-mouth).

My recommendation is to go to your LDS and try breathing from them. Then pick the one that breathes the best and feels the most comfortable in your mouth.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

ScubaRon once bubbled...
As you may have noticed this board has a lot of Apeks fans (and dealers...) and there is no doubt that Apeks makes great regs (although IMO not the best).

However as a new diver and on a budget your original choices are all very appropriate and will last you for many many years in cold and warm waters. My personal preference would be the Aqualung Titan (very light breather - better than Apeks actually - and very reliable) and the Mares Abyss (very reliable, all-metal design great in cold water and against cotton-mouth).

My recommendation is to go to your LDS and try breathing from them. Then pick the one that breathes the best and feels the most comfortable in your mouth.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

I agree with you. There's too much hyping of Apeks on here, and they really don't live up to all the hype they get on this board. If you want a real good comparison of many regs, just check out this site:

http://dive.scubadiving.com/html/200210regs_charts.html

As you can see, Apeks ain't all that.

NaCL H2O Boy once bubbled...

I agree with you. There's too much hyping of Apeks on here, and they really don't live up to all the hype they get on this board. If you want a real good comparison of many regs, just check out this site:

I've noticed that you've bashed apeks a couple of times on the board and seem to substantiate it only with the Rodales gear review. Have you actually compared the apeks to other regs yourself?

I think you'll find that as your scuba progresses the Rodales reviews are really not all that useful as they are quite limited and only focus on certain products in specific parameters

NaCL H2O Boy once bubbled...

Since you seem to trust Rodales's testing, you'll be interested in the rave reviews of the current model Apeks, the ones which will likely be purchased this year. Check Rodale's Scuba Diving mag, November 2003 edition. Perhaps you'll want to switch regs yerself. 8)

JohnF

...Was the fact that they ranted and raved about the "new" ATX100 first and second (which has been sold in Europe for many months now), which is identical to the ATX200, except that the ATX100 has a slightly different design on the first stage. Internally (and therefore performance-wise), they're identical.

Not great last year, but fantastic this year? Weird.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom