Toothpaste, really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you burn your mask it's not covered under warrenty.

I tried flaming a Mares X Vision mask that continued to fog after repeated toothpaste treatments. I began to wonder if there was really a film that was being burned off. It LOOKED like it... but after I cleaned the soot off of the glass, you could re flame it and it would do the same thing (appear as though a film was burning off) again and again... :confused:

If you burn your mask it's not covered under warrenty.
Only if it's hollis. Even then, how would they know? Also, it'a a dive mask.. what kind of warranty claim are people filing? I've got 14 masks in my dive closet now, and I've never had one fail in any way - not even the cheap "snorkel pro" mask that I bought for $19 and did over 100 dives with (it's in my profile pic).

Maybe there's something that makes hollis brand masks exceptionally fragile?

Maybe you didn't read the thread you posted. Manufacturers even posted in that very thread do debunk the myth that using a lighter to clean a mask causes problems.

Sounds to me like hollis has or had a product defect and they were trying to get out of doing a proper recall.
No manufacture posted in that thread.
Dgx posted their policy about not burning.

No manufacture posted in that thread.
Dgx posted their policy about not burning.
You are mistaken. @MAKO Spearguns posted in that thread several times with their official company account. They make dive masks, among other things. That's why they had a video handy to share, explaining how to clean a mask using a lighter. To be fair, they're known for making quality but expensive products. Maybe it's just a difference in product quality between manufacturers.

Nobody is saying you have to clean your mask with a flame - there are other options. You can see the various options in this very thread.

You are mistaken. @MAKO Spearguns posted in that thread several times with their official company account. They make dive masks, among other things. That's why they had a video handy to share, explaining how to clean a mask using a lighter. To be fair, they're known for making quality but expensive products. Maybe it's just a difference in product quality between manufacturers.

Nobody is saying you have to clean your mask with a flame - there are other options. You can see the various options in this very thread.
Oh sorry I thought you ment a mainstream scuba gear manufacturer. That looks like some one burning an Alibaba mask with a name iv never heard of

This was the post to which @fullytek was referring

According to DiveGearExpress:

Masks | Dive Gear Express®

Don't use toothpaste on modern dive masks, especially those masks that have optical quality ultra-clear glass lenses, vision correction lenses or 'optical coatings' on the lenses. You will either damage the lenses, or needlessly waste toothpaste since most modern toothpaste formulations are not at all abrasive.

The same goes for using a lighter to 'burn' the lens to prepare a new mask. Dive Gear Express will not warranty masks that have been treated with abrasives or burned with lighters.

Most new dive masks do have mold release agents in the flexible skirt that during storage will migrate to the surface of the lens and cause fogging. These deposits can be safely removed with an extra application of a powerful surfactant like baby shampoo, SeaQuick or SeaDrops defog.

It's at the bottom of the first "Mask" product page on DGX's website...

upload_2018-9-7_13-53-14.png

Javex works. Every few years I disassemble our masks and give them a good soak in a mild bleach solution. This also removes the oxide-ish layer that forms on the skirts making them look brand new.

Oh sorry I thought you ment a mainstream scuba gear manufacturer. That looks like some one burning an Alibaba mask with a name iv never heard of

I guess I need to work harder on company name recognition. As an FYI, our masks (and other gear) is sourced from the exact same factories that are utilized by the larger brands who sell their products through typical retail stores.

Our masks are excellent quality, the price is lower because we sell direct. And YES we do recommend the "flame technique" for our masks.

The best stuff for polishing / cleaning glass is cerium oxide. For taking moulding release / grease off all parts of masks I use janitol original, which is an alkaline water soluble industrial degreaser.

Back
Top Bottom