Toothpaste, really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a negative reaction to baby shampoo as well, but it IS very effective. Unfortunately most dive boats provide a defog consisting of baby shampoo, but it’s so freaking strong it permeates your sinuses to the point you taste it for 3 days after the fact. We take our own VERY diluted mixture with us in a little spray bottle and it works great.

Another vote to using a flame, not so hard to do and was the only way I found to really clean all the residue off my Atomics. Finished with some toothpaste as well, but that was just to scrub it clean.

Never fog now and just use spit as a defogger.

I did use colgate. Im using a bug-eye mask. I used toothpaste several times. scrub and rinse, repeat. I also mix in a pinch of table salt and lightly scrubbed. Dont get so rough that you scratch the lenses. Rince and dry. Breathe on it, will fog where you missed. When it doesnt fog with one breath, your done

I can be a klutz. I do not mix well with fire. Since it took me 16 masks before number 17 was the charm, there is no way in hell I’m going to flame my mask. Knowing my luck, I’d melt part of it.

Dishwasher.

To remove the manufacturing residue a flame works beautifully. Or a mild abrasive paste and patience scrubbing.

Here's the abrasive index for various toothpastes:
https://www.williamsonperio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Toothpaste-Abrasiveness-Ranked-by-RDA.pdf

I love this chart, but are you to be in the blue or the green?

I didn't realize this chart existed and just moments ago did mine with Colgate Total that was listed as a 70. So does this mean I have to do it 4 or 5 times?

Flame is not good. I can't even turn a BBQ on without singing arm hair. :eek:

I was a bit nervous about burning it off of a replacement mask that I bought a couple of weeks ago but it really was a cinch. Burning is completely the wrong word as well. It really is more of just a warming of the lenses and you can see the film dissipate without getting the flame anywhere close to anything really important. I did then evoke the toothpaste and old toothbrush to finish it off.

Plain Jiff cleaner better than toothpaste , then baby shampoo whilst suiting up
I tried the crunchy brand for abrasiveness but burning was still better. :)
cb0b639a43c5e598d2c0b9978741e046.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom