Top Scuba Masks Manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hijax

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

It's been some years since I've been diving and I'm now looking to get back into it. I want to purchase the basic gear but I see so many new manufacturers and I'm not sure which are them produce decent gear.

For masks, I often see:

• Cressi
  • Mare
  • Atomic
  • Hollis
  • Evo

I'm familiar with the first two but the last three are new to me. I'm sure there are others I'm not listing.

It seems like Atomic makes incredibly expensive gear compared to the others and I'm not sure if they're worth it.

Any guidance for an old-timer wanted to get back into diving?

Rey

As a dive guide,I use an Apollo Pro as a primary & an Atomic ClearVu as a back up. Both ARE excellant & very expensive but I dive for a living so I require what I consider to be the best.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Thanks KT. I don't plan to make this into a living so any recommendations on manufacturers for recreational divers?

I think any mask sold at a dive shop will be fine from a build quality standpoint. You only really need to avoid sporting goods store type stuff. As I see it you should worry about fit, not brand. Find something that is comfortable and provides a good seal. Beyond that, you're into personal preference about 1 or 2 lenses (or additional peripheral vision ones) and whether you want a low profile, or maybe a purge valve. But I'd start at your local shop and try masks on until you find one (or more) that feel right on your face. If you can try them in a pool, even better.
Welcome back to diving!

Thanks for the welcome back, Colin. Really appreciate it.

The reason I'm concerned about manufacturers is not brand but quality. I'd like to determine who the quality manufacturers are and then work towards fit. For example, I've tried on an Evo Bimini which fit really nicely but have no idea if it's a mask made by a company (Evo) that skimps on quality. I also tried the Atomic Subframe, which again fit great but at $109 price tag, I'd like to know who they are. :)

I also know that dive shops establish partnerships with certainly manufacturers and tend to push those products accordingly. I just want to be educated before I pull the trigger.

After the obvious fit & seal issues, look at the field of view.The extra large field of view from the Atomic Frame-less (and a few others) is really nice when diving. Many of the cheaper mask tend to give you tunnel vision.

Thanks Grumpy. That's actually a whole different question for me. I'm pretty overwhelmed by the styles as well. Still trying to determine the benefits of framed vs. frameless, single-lens vs. double-lens. A lot has changed since I was first certified (1988). :)

I own an Atomic frameless, and a Mares X-Vision. The atomic fit and sealed in the dive shop but when I actually dove, it didn't seem to seal with my face very well until I was around 50ft. I have a wide face and after trying on some more masks I notice the mares had a slighlty wider skirt. I dive the mares now, and it seals up way better for me, and I keep my atomic for a backup.

I'm pretty sure there are far less mask makers than there are brands
so feel the quality, squeeze your head in, and try and keep it simple

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom