Top Ten Dive Sites on Ambergris caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubba1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'd put Tackle Box on top. That place blew me away. I was looking back at my log book and noted "best dive of the whole trip". Guess that says something.

Tuffey is fond memories - some of my first dives ever.

Gary Cooper took a poll a few years back.
I've included a map.
Today's News for White Sands Dive Shop at San Pedro Ambergris Caye Belize: Top Ten Dive Sites
I personally think its bias towards the South end of the island because thats where most of the population dives and it doesn't reflect the Northern sites because they aren't dove as much ergo, didn't get as many votes because they are unknown.

I tend to agree with Elbert and feel that the Poll did lean towards the southern dive sites of Ambergris simply because more divers have dove to the South of San Pedro and therefore voted for the only sites they were familiar with.

Some of the Northern sites are really great and I operated the dive shop at Journeys End for a couple years (Where Elbert currently is) and then moved even further North when I built my Hotel which was North of Journeys End so my guests and I would dive a lot to the northern sites and some of the sites are really fantastic and well worth the effort.

The problem is many of the shops in town don't really want to go North because fuel is in the $11 Belize per Gallon so a trip North can be quite expensive when they can take you to a closer site and still keep you happy.
That does not change the fact that the sites North of San Pedro and where Elbert has his shops offer the visiting diver some GREAT diving.

Gaz Cooper
The Complete Guide to Diving Belize
Dive Belize - The Complete Guide to Diving Belize

My favorites up in front of Tranquility Bay are Basil Jones Canyons and Cut, a couple of new ones that we have dubbed "The Chubb hole" and "TBR tunnels" then of course there is a wreck that we snorkel in just a few feet of water. Down where Elbert is M&M tunnels is an awesome dive. (I think on the map it is listed as Mexico Tunnels)

Cheers,
Carlos

I tend to agree with Elbert and feel that the Poll did lean towards the southern dive sites of Ambergris simply because more divers have dove to the South of San Pedro and therefore voted for the only sites they were familiar with.

Some of the Northern sites are really great and I operated the dive shop at Journeys End for a couple years (Where Elbert currently is) and then moved even further North when I built my Hotel which was North of Journeys End so my guests and I would dive a lot to the northern sites and some of the sites are really fantastic and well worth the effort.

The problem is many of the shops in town don't really want to go North because fuel is in the $11 Belize per Gallon so a trip North can be quite expensive when they can take you to a closer site and still keep you happy.
That does not change the fact that the sites North of San Pedro and where Elbert has his shops offer the visiting diver some GREAT diving.

Gaz Cooper
The Complete Guide to Diving Belize
Dive Belize - The Complete Guide to Diving Belize

Hi Gaz just wanted to say thanks for the great videos- i'm planning a solo trip to do my AOW next year in Belize and the videos are great!

I dove a site with Aqua Dives about 3 years ago and the DM, Eric, referred to the site as the Love Tunnels. It was the furthest North we went on that vacation and I remember we picked up some divers at Las Terrazas and then went back out and a liitle further north to the site. The feature of the first tunnel we entered was that it completely dark as you entered and after just a few feet you could see light off to the left, turn left up and out.

I bring all that up because I have tried to get DMs to return to that site but no one seems to acknowledge the site name of Love Tunnels. Even when I dove with BAD at Costa Maya up that way they knew nothing of the site. Does this site name mean anything to anyone and could it be known by another name? I would like to return as it was a very cool dive.

Love Tunnels is a well-known local site. I dived it two days ago.

Maybe the DM's and captains just didn't want to go North. Two years ago diving with BAD it should have been an easy site to get to but they all acted like they didn't know it. No worries, I'll get back there if I keep showing up ready to get wet.

Just talked to my dive master and he says he won't take people to love tunnels. The reason is that it is very dark and you cannot see the exit. There is a cavern style opening that people tend to get "stuck" in. The reason is that the exit is low and people go up instead of following the divemaster. Love Tunnels is not very far north at all, it is in front of El Pescador. M&M Tunnels are actually further North (in front of Sundiver) just north of White Sands Dive shop. M & M Tunnels are awesome, safer and one of my favorite dive sites on the island. See my post above.

Cheers,
Carlos

Back
Top Bottom