Top ten great lakes wreck dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sanduky
dunderberg
eber ward
dundee
mary alice b---(tug boat)--she sits upright and is very intact, complete with ship's wheel, pilot house, horns, search ligth and engine compartment. Mary alice b was my first great lake wreck dive and i still love it.

I dove it twice and have been trying to get back for about three years now but keep getting blown out! Very nice wreck the boiler room is just awesome!

The Monrovia is outstanding. For those who don't know, the Monrovia is an ocean going freighter, originally built as a WWII Liberty Ship. It was sunk in a collision in the 1950s and it sits intact and upright in approximately 160 ft of water, 25 miles out of Alpena Michigan. Top of the superstructure is at 80 ft. I have more than 50 dives on the old girl and have been in every nook and cranny. There are lots of great wrecks in the waters off Alpena the area is now an underwater preserve but the Monrovia and several other deep wrecks are outside of the preserve. However, we never got tired of diving the Monrovia.

To jtivat,

If you thought the boiler room was awesome, wait till you see the engine room!

I dove it twice and have been trying to get back for about three years now but keep getting blown out! Very nice wreck the boiler room is just awesome!

The Monrovia is outstanding. For those who don't know, the Monrovia is an ocean going freighter, originally built as a WWII Liberty Ship. It was sunk in a collision in the 1950s and it sits intact and upright in approximately 160 ft of water, 25 miles out of Alpena Michigan. Top of the superstructure is at 80 ft. I have more than 50 dives on the old girl and have been in every nook and cranny. There are lots of great wrecks in the waters off Alpena the area is now an underwater preserve but the Monrovia and several other deep wrecks are outside of the preserve. However, we never got tired of diving the Monrovia.

To jtivat,

If you thought the boiler room was awesome, wait till you see the engine room!

Gotta add some great Lake Michigan wrecks including the Lakeland, Gallinipper, Vernon, Silver Lake and Pringle. But really love the Florida, Windiate, Norman and Spangler over in Huron too!

Really want to see the Doty, Hart, Gunilda and Kamloops and probably all deserve to be on a top 10 list. Bottom line; we are fortunate to have a wealth of fantastic wreck diving in the Great Lakes....and we don't have to rinse our gear.

I would love to learn more of *why* people list the particular Great Lakes wrecks they list. For example, one of my favorites is Kamloops (off Isle Royale in Lake Superior), primarily because it was my first really deep (to me) wreck that actually begins really deep! I still recall the feeling of descending "forever" before actually encountering any part of the wreck. It's nestled more-or-less intact on its starboard side against the island, with its cargo spilled out around it perhaps deeper than one should prudently dive on air. Neat!

Thanks.

Ronald

The first time I dove The Arabia in 91 we were on the moorning line at the bottom of the Bay before we found the tag line that ran out to the unknown. As we made are way following the tag there was her silhoutte coming out of the darkness standing on the bottom.
The Comet in Kingston with the decks collapsing but her paddle wheels and rocker arns still standind 25' off the bottom.
They had just found The Young in 2002 in The Straits and no one knew what the wreck was like. In 5 ' waves my dive buddie and I were the fisrt to go down. We were told if the wreck was in bad shape come right back up.We did NOT com right back up.
Last year on The Forest City in Toby the Viz was so good, as we reached the bow at 60' we could see the whole wreck. We just glided down and accros the wreck until we landed on the stern rail.
I Love The Great Lakes.

I second that Parsons - I Love The Great Lakes!! The Eliza Strong (Port Sanilac) is a fun little dive. She's in 20' of water. Lots of light, it's warm (no thermocline) and there's often a slight current. You can pretend you're doing a sweet little drift dive in a tropical clime.

My favorite places to dive are out of Munising or Tobermory.

Interesting that this is posted in the tech. diving area. As far as Great Lakes, I have been in one Lake "Erie". Lots of Erie diving can be done outside of tech. Which is good for me. Favorite by far is the Dundee. In my limited experience, and skill set, it's a great dive not too deep and you can tell your diving a ship. A ship thats 100 years old amazing in my book. I have dived on the H G Cleveland, and Queen of the west. So I don't have 10 to offer. The great lakes have so many wrecks to offer, it's a shame more attention is not given to them. You really don't need doubles and deco gas to find something to enjoy.

Lake Ontario - Comet & the George A Marsh... Someone needs to turn the water heater on though!

St.Lawrence Seaway has lot's of fun dives but I don't like it when the current is ripping... Keystorm, Kinghorn, America, Daryaw, Lillie Parsons.

Finally the weather cooperated and I got to dive the Dunderberg....she is a fantastic wreck! I could do that dive a dozen times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom