Topside in Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are a foodie, schedule a dinner at Mozaic (just outside of Ubud). Expensive by Bali standards, but a bargain if you're from the US. A trip to a Barong and Ranga performance (also outside Ubud) will be very much worth your time as well as an evening Kecak (monkey) dance. I'd give Bebek Bengil (Dirty Duck) a pass, they are catering to big tour group buses and the service and food is quite perfunctory. A big thumbs up to Ibu Oka, but watch out for the sambal. It can blow your head off. Don't forget to bargain with the stalls and street vendors, if you're not walking away at their 'last' offer, you're paying too much
I'm surprized you don't mention two of Ubud's best restaurants :
- Locavore which was a few years ago amongst of the top10 restaurants in the world, but needs to be booked weeks ahead.
- Hujan Locale which is my favorite fusion restaurant, less expensive than others, needs booking but only for the day.
Agree with Bebek Bengil , tour restaurant which signature dish is nowhere to call home about.
I find Mozaic too expensive and not worth (more expensive than many parisian restaurants, tbh who needs eating seared foie gras or Wagyu beef in Ubud), I prefer to spend my money on Locavore which is more surprizing (and cheaper), and btw Mozaic's chef Chris Sallans also has an affordable bistro, located center of Ubud, almost in front of the Palace, better QP is you ask me.
Ibu Oka is Ok for an introduction to edible Babi Guling but completely overtaken by chinese groups.

I'm surprized you don't mention two of Ubud's best restaurants :
- Locavore which was a few years ago amongst of the top10 restaurants in the world, but needs to be booked weeks ahead.
- Hujan Locale which is my favorite fusion restaurant, less expensive than others, needs booking but only for the day.
Agree with Bebek Bengil , tour restaurant which signature dish is nowhere to call home about.
I find Mozaic too expensive and not worth (more expensive than many parisian restaurants, tbh who needs eating seared foie gras or Wagyu beef in Ubud), I prefer to spend my money on Locavore which is more surprizing (and cheaper), and btw Mozaic's chef Chris Sallans also has an affordable bistro, located center of Ubud, almost in front of the Palace, better QP is you ask me.
Ibu Oka is Ok for an introduction to edible Babi Guling but completely overtaken by chinese groups.
hmmmm. . . I've tried Locavore and was not impressed. They were trying much too hard on presentation without delivering the corresponding food. Never been to Hujan Locale, so I can't comment. Bridges (mentioned in a previous post) was a big meh. . . I should have added that your hotel is usually happy to send someone to Ibu Oka to pick up your order, saving you from the scrum during peak tourist times.

Bali (and Ubud) have been loved to death for too many years. We've given up going (I've been 6 times). The final bit for me was when they took the beautiful rice fields next to Tegal Sari/Monkey Forest and turned them into a huge parking lot for tour buses disgorging the masses into the Monkey Forest.

I'll just add that traffic can be incredibly slow as the roads are not designed for much more than motorbikes.

During my last visit in July 2017, there were many festivals going on to do with burying the dead resulting in frequent traffic jams.

Can someone recommend a driver for airport pickup and day tour that are honest and talk about local culture while doing the long drive? Thanks

Can someone recommend a driver for airport pickup and day tour that are honest and talk about local culture while doing the long drive? Thanks

Contact Today (nick name of I Ketut Gede Somadhyana) at aqua cat bali, the best travel to scuba diving / dive / diving in Bali, Indonesia, my truly Balinese above & underwater guide for the past 10 years. Today is a tour guide, a Balinese dance instructor and a DM in one. Tell him that Dan refers him to you & to give you a good price. He’ll pick you up from the airport, take you to wherever you want to go. At one time I did a 4-day diving safari tour with him from Menjangan to Nusa Penida, stopping each day along the way at Tulamben & Padangbai. After the 4th day of diving in Nusa Penida, he drove me to Benoa where I hopped on Mermaid I liveaboard to do a 10-day roundtrip Bali-Komodo-Bali roundtrip. It saved me 2 days of vacation (avoiding round trip domestic flying from Denpasar to Labuan Bajo & 24h no fly surface interval after 4 days of diving safari).

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom