Topside in Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LisaTee

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,
I will be on the Pindito LOB to Alor in July-August, 2018. We will have a couple of days in Bali before heading out, and another day there upon return. I'd love some recommendations for the best, can't miss topside activity I should try to schedule for my short time in Bali. Also, we'll be celebrating a birthday while there, so any idea for the perfect birthday evening would be great too! Since we'll have 12 nights on the Pindito, I don't really see the need to look into diving or snorkeling while in Bali. We'll be staying at the beach on the south side of Bali.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I find it's a lot easier to get good advise here than to try and navigate trip advisor and the like.
Thanks!
Lisa

I love the restaurants Mejekawi/Ku De Ta and Merah Putih. I went to both of them for my (pre)birthday. They are kinda spendy but really great. Menjakawi is really expensive but food was delicious. Tell it's your bday and you'll get some extras. Merah Putih is also very beautiful. They are both in Seminyak so even when staying in Kuta or Sanur, it's easy to get to.

For the rest: The only thing I loved topside in Bali are the traditional dances in Ubud... I have been to a couple of them and like the Kecak the most...
Oh, go to the spas too. Find one with a good combination of things to get and spend some hours being threating so well...

BTW: The Pindito is great. They are long time around and know what they are doing...

I love the temples. Do a tour.

You will see drivers on the side of the road every that will take you on a day trip. I recommend seeing some temples the monkey forest in ubub is good. Are you party people or relax and culture people?

You will see drivers on the side of the road every that will take you on a day trip. I recommend seeing some temples the monkey forest in ubub is good. Are you party people or relax and culture people?

Relax and culture, definitely NOT party people!

If you can rebook your accommodation try to stay in Ubub then. It's a fair way from the airport but gives you easy access to as much culture as you want. Avoid Kuta area.

Hello All,
I will be on the Pindito LOB to Alor in July-August, 2018. We will have a couple of days in Bali before heading out, and another day there upon return. I'd love some recommendations for the best, can't miss topside activity I should try to schedule for my short time in Bali. Also, we'll be celebrating a birthday while there, so any idea for the perfect birthday evening would be great too! Since we'll have 12 nights on the Pindito, I don't really see the need to look into diving or snorkeling while in Bali. We'll be staying at the beach on the south side of Bali.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I find it's a lot easier to get good advise here than to try and navigate trip advisor and the like.
Thanks!
Lisa

I use Bali as the hub for my trip to other Indonesian diving destinations too (Alor, Raja Ampat, Komodo, etc.) for the last 10 years. Did all kinds of topside activities there.

For 2 days before heading out to Alor, staying in Ubud is a better option as @Scubamat mentioned. I like to stay in Home - Bali Agung Raka Resort & Villa in their rice-field view bungalow & going to their restaurant Bebek Bengil in Bali - Ubud Restaurants or to Babi Guling (Roast Suckling Pig) at Ibu Oka-Ubud, Bali, Indonesia - La Fuji Mama for dinners. While in Ubud you can tour the monkey forest temple, Goa Gajah (elephant) temple, Ubud palace & Ubud market, see some traditional dances in the Ubud palace or in Batu Bulan.

For 1 day after the Alor trip, staying at the beach on the south side of Bali is fine. I would stay around Seminyak instead of Kuta. You can see the sunset kecak dance at Uluwatu temple or have dinner at Jimbaran beach. If you like to see more Balinese culture stuff in a giffy, while you are there, visit GWK, Garuda Wisnu Kencana Cultural Park - Wikipedia

Enjoy Bali!

Last edited:
Relax and culture, definitely NOT party people!
If you are a foodie, schedule a dinner at Mozaic (just outside of Ubud). Expensive by Bali standards, but a bargain if you're from the US. A trip to a Barong and Ranga performance (also outside Ubud) will be very much worth your time as well as an evening Kecak (monkey) dance. I'd give Bebek Bengil (Dirty Duck) a pass, they are catering to big tour group buses and the service and food is quite perfunctory. A big thumbs up to Ibu Oka, but watch out for the sambal. It can blow your head off. Don't forget to bargain with the stalls and street vendors, if you're not walking away at their 'last' offer, you're paying too much

Last edited:
Spent 4 night is Ubud before heading out to Wakatobi. Bridges is a great restaurant to celebrate a birthday. Go when still light as it overlooks a beautiful forest, creek. My niece also went on her honeymoon, my suggestion, and still tells me how happy she is that she went to Bridges. Take a tour of rice fields or walk one from Ubud. If you go to the Monkey Forest, go at 8:30 am when it opens, before the crowds and while the monkeys aren't yet grabbing for everything. We loved it but left by 10:30 when the tour buses arrived.
Their are taxi/tour drivers everywhere to take you to the temples and the rice paddies. Lastly, the nightly dance shows in Ubud were actually good, and I usually hate those things.

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom