Torque wrenches for regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys,

Can you suggest what torque wrenches I need so I can tight correctly the hoses to my regulators.
I have seen that in the manuals that they suggest a specific amount of tightness. I know that too tight might damage the first stage and if not enough time might be dangerous in water.

Thanks,

socc

You shouldn't need a torque wrench to fasten hoses to a regulator..."snug" with an open ended wrench will suffice. Any more than that is asking for damage to threads and o-rings. What brand of regs are you referring to?

Really not needed.
Just needs to be tight enough that the hose cannot be loosened accidently.
Hand tight and then a tad more with a spanner.

You shouldn't need a torque wrench to fasten hoses to a regulator..."snug" with an open ended wrench will suffice. Any more than that is asking for damage to threads and o-rings. What brand of regs are you referring to?

Really not needed.

Hello,

I understand what you mean I do not need one but I would rather be safe and do it properly - I like doing thinks as manufacturer suggests and so I would like to buy a wrench. If you can suggest a toque wrench that will do the job properly I would appreciate it!
I got an Apeks and a ScubaPro regulator.

Thanks,

socc

If you want to torque them, you will need what is called a crows foot, basically an open ended wrench with a slot for a torque wrench, and the appropriately sized torque wrench. Not needed, don't know of a single person or technician that uses them. "snug" is appropriate, tighten to hand, then tighten until you just feel metal to metal connection, it will be pretty obvious when the spanner is giving you resistance. Below is a link to what they look like. I can tell you though that I have never seen technicians, even at the Apeks factory use a torque wrench on these parts. They'll use them on the tank fittings and what not, but have never seen any technician use them, the torque settings are there to make sure they aren't overtightened not undertightened like most torque specs are.

7 Piece 3/8" Crowfoot Metric Wrench Set

Edit: not sure about scubapro, but the last sentence above about making sure they aren't overtightened is interesting because it is only in the owners manual, there is no hose torque specification in the service manual.... Only torque specs in the service manual are for the turret retaining bolt, and the Din/Yoke retaining bolt. Those actually have to be torqued correctly or bad things happen. For the hoses, follow the recommendations above, you'll see if you take it to your dive shop to have them change hoses they don't use torque wrenches for it.

I use a torque wrench, not because I think it is necessary, but since I already had one when I started diving.

When using a crowfoot, the proper way would be to adjust the torque setting on the wrench to compensate for the extended lever (but not really necessary in the big picture). In my case, the crowfoot extends out about 1" and so if I am applying 40inchlbs of torque, I adjust it as follows:

t1 = t2 * wl / (wl + el)

t1 = torque setting on wrench
t2 = desired torque setting (in this example 40inchlbs)
wl = wrench length (from the center of the hand position to the center of the socket adapter, for my wrench, 12")
el = extension length (in this example, 1")

t1 = 40 * 12 / (12 + 1) = 37inch lbs.

As you can see, it doesn't make much difference which is why I said it isn't all that necessary as a few inch pounds isn't going to break your reg or hose. However, my thoughts are, if you are going to pull out the torque wrench, then may as well go a step further and apply the proper torque.

Then again, I haven't had my torque wrench calibrated in years, I am probably applying anywhere from 30 - 50 inch pounds :)

I use 3/8 inch drive digital torque wrench for yoke/din retainers and 1/4 inch drive digital torque wrench for the swivel (turret) retainer. I do not routinely torque hoses or port plugs on my Scubapro regs although they do provide a spec of 44 in-lb. I did use a torque wrench once on those connections and determined that finger tight plus 1/4 turn with a new o-ring was about right. With a used o-ring, it only required 1/8 turn.

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions.

Hi socc,

It is great that you want to do things "safe and properly" regarding working on your regulator, but seriously, a torque wrench is NOT particularly useful or necessary for tightening hose fittings.

Re-read these posts, from folks who have extensive experience working on regulators:

Really not needed.

I use 3/8 inch drive digital torque wrench for yoke/din retainers and 1/4 inch drive digital torque wrench for the swivel (turret) retainer. I do not routinely torque hoses or port plugs on my Scubapro regs although they do provide a spec of 44 in-lb. I did use a torque wrench once on those connections and determined that finger tight plus 1/4 turn with a new o-ring was about right. With a used o-ring, it only required 1/8 turn.

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions.

I find that from the factory, hoses are often OVER TIGHTENED. I mean, way too tight. Hose fittings only need to be tight enough that they will not loosen under normal use. This typically means hand tight plus a little "tweak" from a short handled wrench. Just "snug", not "tight".

That's it. The o-ring makes the seal, NOT torque. Just tight enough that it cannot loosen without putting a wrench on it and giving it a little "tweak".... FYI "tweak" is a highly specific mechanical description, as are "snug" and "tight" :D

But if you plan to service other components on your regulator, such as the already mentioned swivel retainers, a torque wrench is a good investment.

And the main reason for the torque wrench in most cases is to avoid over-tightening.

Best wishes.

I think I'm going to start using a twerk wench on my hoses.

Hi eveyone,

I think you convinced me to not buy a torque wrench.

Thanks everyone for their comments and suggestions.

Socc

Back
Top Bottom