Towing a dive flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icechip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On the last few dives, I've been the one towing a dive flag. It's attached to a hand reel and I find that the line can at times become a possible entanglement issue for me. I switch the reel from time to time in my hands as I go along, which probably doesn't help, but I am always paying attention to it, reeling/unreeling it so the line is not that loose. The dives have been in some busy boat traffic areas, so the flag is definitely necessary. Any tips on how to better handle a dive flag?

As a way of getting the most time in the water, and some free air fills, I help out with classes and checkout dives. As the one with the least experience, I tow the flag. I had a heck of a time not getting tangled when I first started. What I found works best for me (and I'd love to hear from more experienced divers if I'm doing something wrong) is this:

I always keep the flag in my right hand. My left is for my inflator hose and my SPG.
I always keep the line at arms length, as far away from tank, fins, etc. as possible.
I always keep the line taut, less of a chance of loose line tangling. If I can't immediately reel in because my left hand is busy with the hose or gauge, I'll move my arm up or down, or myself up or down slightly to compensate.

My methods may be a little different because I'm also riding drag in the class, keeping an eye on 6-8 students, in viz that is often under 10'. The flag is the least of my worries, but in still responsible for it.

I have the kind with the big yellow handle. Yeah, it's a pain to keep the correct line length when your depths vary--you don't want too much slack nor too little so the flag gets pulled under. Sometimes I hold the handle way out to prevent entanglement, but if possible I hold it in the hand that allows the line to flow away from me--such as when in a current, or wind on the surface. I'm not fussy about which hand, as I always have the shell collection bag with me anyway--I just deal with using the LPI as it happens. That's one reason I like shore diving in my area--I mays have seen two boats within a mile of me in 8 years. Now NY and FL, etc. is a different story. If the situation looks iffy traffic wise, I always take the flag, whether legally required or not.

The best way is to let someone else do it... :wink:. I like a little less line out then most I've seen.... The trick is to keep the line tight so your less likely to look like a hog tied calf at the rodeo ..... As so ask ONE person to keep a eye out for trouble...

Jim....

I also use the 1/4" braided polypropylene line on a home made Lexan winder. It stays above you for the most part. It's a bit of an inconvenience to keep the right arm to the side to give it some space and I do need to pay attention when turning hard left. Mostly it's practice. Adjusting the length should not be a problem, you want some scope on the line so it it's not a real buoyancy factor. 1.5 times the depth is one rule of thumb. That being said you really just need to mess with in perhaps 10 foot depth increments.

A few bands of tape at key lengths, like 15' are helpful.

Unless you are solo the lead navigator does not deal with the line. A little wind can add a cross action to your heading with inconvenient results. Share the burden.

Pete

Check your state law.

Maybe you can just anchor your dive flag somewhere and leave it. Some states only require that you be within a certain distance of the dive flag when you are on the surface.

In my state it is illegal to tow a dive flag, it must be fixed to the bottom.

Check your state law.

Maybe you can just anchor your dive flag somewhere and leave it. Some states only require that you be within a certain distance of the dive flag when you are on the surface.

In my state it is illegal to tow a dive flag, it must be fixed to the bottom.

Which state?

West Virginia requires dive flags to be fixed, not towed.

So I drop to 25 feet and fix my dive flag, and then go on my merry way...

Interesting law. I guess if you must (or want to) surface far from the fixed flag you just have to be real carefull. Doesn't seem the safest approach in a world where the gov't. looks out for everybody.

Back
Top Bottom