Trading AL80's for Steel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The HP 119 & 130 are comperable length to the Al80.

Not true. The 119's are quite a bit shorter than the al80. They are the same in length as a HP100, just 8" dia instead of the 7 1/4". I have 3 119's and 2 100's. I have the 100's doubled up and dive the 119's as singles. I first bought the 119 because of my SAC rate. Now I have no need for the larger capacity but it is really nice not having to change out my tank for dive #2. A lot less to pack on the boat for a day of diving and I get 2 dives for the price of what 1 used to cost me.

Thanks for the responses.

I have 8 al80's so I'm keeping 2 of them.

I think I'm going with either the 130 or 119. And pros/cons of the galvanized tanks over the powder coated tanks

I'm about your size and use Steel LP95s filled to 3000. More air than you'll normally ever need. Love them.

A worthington 2400 psi LP 95 is for all intents and purposes the same in weight and dimensions as the Worthington HP119 (an X8-119). A Faber LP 95 is about 4 pounds lighter (38 pounds versus 42 pounds.) A Worthington HP 130 (an X8-130) weighs 43 pounds and is about an inch and a half longer than an LP 95.

So...if you are going with Worthington tanks, just get the 3442 psi X8-130 and call it good. The HP 119, 130 and LP 95 all hold about the same gas at the same pressure, but the X8-130 gives you the most gas at any given fill pressure by a small margin, and can be filled to 3442 almost anywhere while an LP 95 cannot.

If you are going with Faber tanks, then the lighter LP 95 is more attractive, especially if you can get cave fills for it.

Faber uses a cold galvanizing process but uses a very durable paint system so the difference between the cold galvanizing process and hot dip process is less of an issue than some would suggest.

Worthington uses a hot dip galvanized process which is a lot more durable than cold gavlanizing, but it creates some hydro testing issues due to the need for a round out procedure.

Either one is a great choice.

Ok, one More question, my jacket bc has a single cummerbund but there's a slot for a second a lil higher than the other. With the Extra 10-12 lbs of a steel tank, should I add another strap? I know it won't matter once in the water but I don't want it to slip out when I stand up on a boat.

I recently got a pair of Faber HP100's. about the same size as AL 80. Luv 'em.

The HP 119 & 130 are comperable length to the Al80. The LP95 length is comperable and I like the one I picked up, it's a horse but it keeps me in shape for the old set of 72 doubles I use.

I vote for keeping a couple of AL's around, sometimes it's about the quantity of air you have, not the quality of the tank it's in.

Bob
--------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

What LP 95's are you referring too. Most (at least mine) are less than 2 ft tall and ~ 38# full. No comparison to the HP 119 and certainly not the HP 130. You must have something other than a 95. The 95's weigh 6 or 7 pounds more than al 80's, but you can shed about as much in ballast so the rig weighs the same for more gas. You can pump up if you like. That would make them weigh more, but there is that much more ballast off the rig, and that much more gas.

If tech diving is in your future you may as well double some of the AL80s up and get a BP/W to bolt them to. I am not kidding, double AL80s are one of the sweetest tanks to dive when 150cuft are enough. You can dive them wet without the risk of being too negative and with a V-weight they work just as fine with a drysuit.

team.jpg

Add a stage or two to go deeper/longer. Then, buy a set of used PST LP104s or Worthington HP130s (X8-130) for cave and you are all set.

If you stay single tank for a while, DA Aquamasters advice is spot on. Stay away from the long HP120s with your height. As single tanks they will already be a nuisance and as doubles you will have the manifold up to your ears (literally, when standing up) to trim them out.

In any case, try before you buy.

Last edited:
What LP 95's are you referring too. Most (at least mine) are less than 2 ft tall and ~ 38# full. No comparison to the HP 119 and certainly not the HP 130. You must have something other than a 95. The 95's weigh 6 or 7 pounds more than al 80's, but you can shed about as much in ballast so the rig weighs the same for more gas. You can pump up if you like. That would make them weigh more, but there is that much more ballast off the rig, and that much more gas.

You have Faber's. PST 95's are just under 25" and 43 and a half pounds empty. Once its on it's fine but moving it about can be a chore, especally when my tank of choice was old steel 72's. As you say, I can wear a little girley weightbelt with that tank on my BP/W. I usually stop the tank monkeys that don't read before it gets to 3000, so my fills are between 2400 and 2800.

What I ment by comperable size to an AL80 was a tank length within say -2" to +1" , 'cause most people get po'ed when the tank is to long, and within that range it's easy enough to adjust the tank position a little.

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Back
Top Bottom