Tragic loss to the NoCal dive community

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We will never know the exact cause of this tragedy, but it would seem to me that failure of the buddy system must be, at least, a contributing cause.

This will be my final note & discussion about my son Correys diving accident, I thought this was a site where divers helped each other, I was WARNED by MANY DIVERS about letting any information out about the accident, I can see why nOW! It seems the regulators of this site & certain divers want a "VILLAN" to attack & berate. Just for your info my sons training was way beyond whatever he needed to be where he was diving, he also was the person at Any Water Sports filling the tanks for years, he has & had full understanding of mixes of air, water depths & equipment needed for each dive, one diver on this site STEVE even had the gall to ask if Correy could be easily talked into doing dangerous things, to you Steve, KISS MY ASS!! May the SO-called book your writing take a dive, after reading just a portion of it, I HAVE NO DOUBT IT WILL! The two who were with my son, Frank, Owner of Any Water Sports ALWAYS treated my son as his OWN & is grieving like us, the Coroner said after diving 250 feet & surfacing, upon seeing my sons body floating over 200 yards off shore, she said he took off his gear & swam for over 20 minutes to reach him & try to revive him. A feat like this even for a younger man would of killed him! So instead of badgering, ranting about your "WE HAVE TO KNOW ATTITUDES!" Why not PRAISE Frank & Scott, an awesome dive instructor, they are TRULY heroes here for trying to SAVE OUR SON. According to the Coroner my sons air & gear were checked out, she said NO ONE was there, we may NEVER know exactly what happened. So THANK YOU to ALL the CARING divers on here, the Scuba Board moderator & whoever you other divers are why not just MOVE ON & find another to BADGER, if you really want a fight...KEEP POSTING YOUR MORONIC statements, I'LL BE WAITING FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES, Correy's Dad Joe Fedor

Mr. Fedor, I'm not sure what it was here that offended you. Reading through the thread, I see some very thoughtful comments from some people with impressive credentials. There are many factors that go into creating a fatal accident, and one has to look at the profile, choice of gases, environmental conditions, diver experience and training, AND the team dynamic to figure out where the system failed.

Some very experienced folks have seriously questioned the basic decision to do this dive at all as planned, and that decision was one made by three people. One of the strengths of diving in teams is the ability to have three separate brains looking at plans and watching the dive as it unfolds, so that even if two get misled, one will hopefully still be thinking clearly. In the planning of this dive, three minds made the same, very questionable decision, and I think it's quite reasonable to examine how the team got there: Who had what training, who was dominant in the discussions, and was there any "trust me" component to what was done (meaning that someone followed a respected leader without question).

The desire is to learn from any incident like this, to prevent it from recurring -- there is no other positive thing that can come from it. Here, there is nothing really to learn from the depth and gas choices, because it is almost universally held that that gas at those depths is a bad choice. So the only learning that's possible is to try to figure out why three people decided to do this.

This will be my final note & discussion about my son Correys diving accident, I thought this was a site where divers helped each other, I was WARNED by MANY DIVERS about letting any information out about the accident, I can see why nOW! It seems the regulators of this site & certain divers want a "VILLAN" to attack & berate. Just for your info my sons training was way beyond whatever he needed to be where he was diving, he also was the person at Any Water Sports filling the tanks for years, he has & had full understanding of mixes of air, water depths & equipment needed for each dive, one diver on this site STEVE even had the gall to ask if Correy could be easily talked into doing dangerous things, to you Steve, KISS MY ASS!! May the SO-called book your writing take a dive, after reading just a portion of it, I HAVE NO DOUBT IT WILL! The two who were with my son, Frank, Owner of Any Water Sports ALWAYS treated my son as his OWN & is grieving like us, the Coroner said after diving 250 feet & surfacing, upon seeing my sons body floating over 200 yards off shore, she said he took off his gear & swam for over 20 minutes to reach him & try to revive him. A feat like this even for a younger man would of killed him! So instead of badgering, ranting about your "WE HAVE TO KNOW ATTITUDES!" Why not PRAISE Frank & Scott, an awesome dive instructor, they are TRULY heroes here for trying to SAVE OUR SON. According to the Coroner my sons air & gear were checked out, she said NO ONE was there, we may NEVER know exactly what happened. So THANK YOU to ALL the CARING divers on here, the Scuba Board moderator & whoever you other divers are why not just MOVE ON & find another to BADGER, if you really want a fight...KEEP POSTING YOUR MORONIC statements, I'LL BE WAITING FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe, unfortunately SB does attract a lot of buttheads, armchair quarterbacks, and substance abusers... As hard as it may be, don't let them get to you. They just have really crappy lives and come on here to try and spread their crappy lives to others through assanine posts. The people who really matter already know the facts, and those on here that just genuinely want to offer their condolences and/or try to learn from the tragedy are easy to identify. Put the rest on ignore... God Bless you, your family, and Corey's dive buddies.

I don't mean to be hard or callous, but we have a method to our madness here on scubaboard, one that, in deference to the participation of the father of the victim in this thread, it appears that we have let slide. This is not the condolence threat ... that's somewhere else and all the expressions of sympathy should have been made there or moved there.

This area is for somewhat more hardheaded analysis of accidents, which (understandably) may on occasion be upsetting to those who are emotional involved in the tragedy. I ask Correy's Dad, josmo to try and understand this approach and not to take offense at people's expressions of their thoughts.
This will be my final note & discussion about my son Correys diving accident, I thought this was a site where divers helped each other, I was WARNED by MANY DIVERS about letting any information out about the accident, I can see why nOW! It seems the regulators of this site & certain divers want a "VILLAN" to attack & berate.
I don't think anyone is looking for a villain, but those who are not involved may also be slightly more objective and willing to criticize.
Just for your info my sons training was way beyond whatever he needed to be where he was diving, he also was the person at Any Water Sports filling the tanks for years, he has & had full understanding of mixes of air, water depths & equipment needed for each dive,
Frankly, while what you are saying is not impossible, but at first blush I'd rather doubt it. I am intimately familiar with training divers to work at depths on the order of 200 feet, and there are very few divers, recreational or scientific who are trained, "way beyond" what is needed for a dive of that magnitude.

If this is an accurate list of his qualifications:
... YMCA Scuba certified him in the following; Open Water II, Advanced Open Water Diver, SLAM Diver, Assistant Instructor, Divemaster & Diving First Aid ...
Then there is no way that he was qualified (solely on that basis) to undertake this dive.
one diver on this site STEVE even had the gall to ask if Correy could be easily talked into doing dangerous things,
With all due respect sir, that is a very reasonable question, full executive function of the brain is rarely available until age 25 and often varies from one individual to another amongst those under that age.
... The two who were with my son, Frank, Owner of Any Water Sports ALWAYS treated my son as his OWN & is grieving like us, the Coroner said after diving 250 feet & surfacing, upon seeing my sons body floating over 200 yards off shore, she said he took off his gear & swam for over 20 minutes to reach him & try to revive him. A feat like this even for a younger man would of killed him!
I don't doubt that Frank did everything that he could to try an assist your son, unfortunately it was too little, too late, the problem was not in Frank's response after the incident ... it was in his diving practices prior to it, no diver should ever lose his buddy, sure it happens, but NEVER on a 200 foot dive, never, never, never!
So instead of badgering, ranting about your "WE HAVE TO KNOW ATTITUDES!" Why not PRAISE Frank & Scott, an awesome dive instructor, they are TRULY heroes here for trying to SAVE OUR SON.
I don't see things the same way, Frank and Scott screwed up badly, plain and simple, and I'm terribly sorry to say that no ex post facto efforts (heroic or otherwise) can make up for that.
According to the Coroner my sons air & gear were checked out, she said NO ONE was there, we may NEVER know exactly what happened. So THANK YOU to ALL the CARING divers on here, the Scuba Board moderator & whoever you other divers are why not just MOVE ON & find another to BADGER, if you really want a fight...KEEP POSTING YOUR MORONIC statements, I'LL BE WAITING FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not a Moderator, just a Board Guide, and a caring diver, but I am also a recognized expert in the area of very deep diving. You need to understand that when diving in a team mode, losing track of one's team member at 200 feet (absent some truly extraordinary event) is completely unacceptable.

Dear Mr. Fedor,

I can appreciate and understand your reaction as this issue is very personal. To those of us who did not know your son, we can only try to learn how to prevent this horrible thing from happening to our family and friends.

As divers, most of us are posting and reading information here on ScubaBoard in order to prevent tragedies like this in the future. Sure, there will be people that are insensitive and accusatory but most of us who read these posts regularly are just trying to learn.

Sadly, your son's death happened for a reason. What that reason is still eludes us. Without hard facts, speculation is the only option. That speculation will lead and teach many divers different ways to avoid problems in the future.

I want to personally thank you for posting and can not imagine how difficult it must be for you. I will also add that should I die while diving, I'd hope my family shared every detail of the accident, no matter how hurtful, if it helped or prevented the death of a single person.

Back
Top Bottom